Question for Gibson SG Owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmbandtimmy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I usually play a strat, but lately have been wanting to get either a Les Paul or a SG. I really enjoy Derek Trucks and so I am leaning toward an SG. So, would you recommend sticking to the pickups that come in the SG or replacing them with something else. Also, does anyone know of any stores that sell Gibsons at a little more of a discount than Musicians Friend. My local store sells them for the same price as MF and won't budge on price, which, is understandable, but every penny helps. Thanks!

2. richardcouch

richardcouch Guest

Support your local store...

3. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

sure, if you have an extra hundred bucks I can borrow. Tax alone is 8% which is already an extra hundred. That alone is reason enough for me to buy from MF. So yeah....

Also, I would support the local store if they would give a little on price. Its not that I don't want to support a local store, its that right now the only option is to get the product at the lowest price and if thats the price, I guess its not in the cards.

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

I've always liked the 490 series pickups in the SG's and I love the necks in the 2003 + models. Call Saul at CCmusic 1-888-5-GIBSON. He's usually a couple hundred cheaper than MF.

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've owned 2 SG's, one had 57 classics in it, it was a Supreme. It sounded nice, not outstanding but did the job. However I did aquire a cheaper standard that was beat to hell for $350 and the kicker with that one was that it had Duncan Antiquities and it sounded amazing. I pretty much have only used Antiquities since then, and they definately sound great in SG's.

6. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

whitehall,
    Thats ironic! I just found his website! Thanks!

7. richardcouch

richardcouch Guest

Unless a store wants to take a loss or make zero on a sale they can't beat MF\GC. MF\GC gets special discounts at their volume that Mom & Pop's can't get...

8. ricoh

ricoh Member

After your purchase you may find the pu's that came -w- the guitar are just fine. Different SG's come -w-different pu's. The high end historics come -w- burstbuckers etc. Check it out first!!!! That said I've a set of Crossroads in one SG and Holmes in another.
    Like them both. The BB's that came -w- one sounded nice too!!!
    Rico

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Yeah, what he said.

I hate to be the voice of reason but get the guitar first and play it a bit, then decide on swapping.

First, figure out what it is that you do not like, or where the axe is lacking, then spend your money.

Upgrading before you get the guitar is reserved for morons like me.
    :dude

10. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies! You are probably right about waiting to upgrade. Its probably smart to spend some time with the pickups first. Heck, it sounds like I might not even need to upgrade .

Also, I never even thought of Antiquities. I think Warren Haynes uses a set. I'll definitely check into those and the Crossroads if I need to. I also wonder what the Harmonic Z-90's would be like :)

Anyways, thanks again for the replies and whitehall, thanks for the info, I actually think I'll buy one from him! :dude

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

If, like Derek, you are a slide player, by all means go for the SG. Their upper fret access is second to none. SGs have their own special sweet n dirty sound anyway, so they provide a pretty full palette. I've owned one with 57s and a custom with burstbuckers (57s are FAR more common), and wouldn't have ever changed those pups. BUT, I'm more of an LP guy. There's no substitution for that bigger, fatter, chalky wail that immediatley says Les Paul. Play lots of both first. In my experience, MF and Music 123 will give you a better price if you press them, as will GC.

12. jda

jda Member

SGs can be great - if you're looking to save some $$$, buy used.

13. bryan83

bryan83 Member

The 490's and 498's on my SG Standard are alright, BUT I'm really thinking about switching them out for the WCR "fillmore sets". Check them out Especially if your a ABB fan, they are supposedly wound after duane and dickeys pickups they used during the early days of ABB, I dont know how true this is but they sure sound damn good. Plus they come with 4 conductor wires so the coils can be split AND they are a bit pricey ($260 w/ no nickel covers).

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Go to www.LesPaulForm.com. They have a bunch of sponsoring dealers that sell at about 85% of Musicians Friend prices. The 490/498 pickups aren't bad. 57 Classics are outstanding. As said, different models have different pickups.

15. billstets

billstets Member

It depends on what kind of music you want to play, but if you like Derek Trucks I would suggest a used '61 Reissue. I think Derek's is a reissue. I got a minty one used off Ebay. It's a 2003, and the case is real nice but not a Gibson case. That may be why I got a real good deal on it.

I love this guitar and I think the '57 pups are just fine. I have a McCarty with WCRs and I'm preferring the sound of this SG these days. I'm not changing the pups. I also have a couple of strats and a Carvin with Duncans. Right now the SG and one of my strats are my two main guitars.

I started on an SG in the 70s, but I haven't had one for many years. I briefly owned a double-cut LP in the 90s. People on this board **** on Gibson a lot, but as they say "only a Gibson is good enough. " I forgot what I was missing. There's something about the way this guitar sounds. Super light too.

16. onemind

onemind Member

17. Hollobody

Hollobody Member

I was always a Strat player and somehow came across a great deal on an SG std ('94) $630 including case. I just figured I'd turn it and make a little cash on the deal. Turned out I loved the guitar. After I decided to keep it I started figuring out the things I was gonna change, 1) pickups, 2) Grovers & 3) a tonepro's bridge. But the more I played it, the more I just left every thing as it was. I alternate between it and my favorite Strat at gigs....(sometimes a Tele) Hell I just can't decide! A couple of weeks ago they opened a GC here in El Paso (I've never seen that many guitars in one room before.. even though my wife says my music room looks like it has that many) and I tried out an SG faded (brown)... I liked it. You can get those things new for around $650 and on ebay for around $500. But like the man said, try before you buy (if you can). I also tried a 61 Std faded reissue that was listed around $2,400 and it was eh..

18. fugazi

fugazi Member

One way to save a few bucks on a Standard is to go with the ebony finish. I think it's about $100 cheaper. I got one and it rocks.:dude

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The Gibson Sg standard is the best deal for the money out there right now. However, they seem to varry greatly. I've been looking at them lately. Out of about 10 or so I've played only one played great. It was smashing though. I so wish I'd purchased it. You can get one in ebony for about 950 all day long. The 61 reissue comes with 57s. I've got 57 classic+ in the bridge of my LP st and 57 in the neck. Personally though I love 57s I'd go with a slightly hotter pickup in a SG. Are RIO BBQ bukers really voiced for Les Pauls or will they work well with other thiner guitars?

20. straightblues

straightblues Member

The SG and Les Paul get very different slide tones. Play them both and choose which one you like better. Duanne Allman has the quitisiential Les Paul slide tone and Derek does a nice SG slide tone for references.

It depends on how clean you are trying to get if you will need to swap pickups in the SG. If you want cleaner PAF tones, yes you will need to swap the stock pickups out.