Question for guys who play in multiple gigging bands.....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yer Blues, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Do you commit to the first available gigs on big dates? Take NYE for example.... say one of the band you plays with gets an offer in April or May, but you have a feeling one of the other bands you play with will likely get a better offer. What would you tell the band asking about your availability?

2. rcl

rcl Member

First come first played for me. I use TeamUp calendars so both bands can easily see what we all have going on. Of course, getting people to actually use it is another thing but I can only do so much! A gig in hand...

ant_riv, derekd and Yer Blues like this.
  3. CDP

CDP Member

To me the key word = Commit. You make a decision and then honor whatever you committed to. IMO this also means not being available if another gig offer comes later.

Tell the other band that you're a man of your word and that you would do the same for them if they'd called you first.

MikeMcK, tubedude, DrumBob and 2 others like this.
  4. bob-i

bob-i Member

First come, first served. I keep an on line google calendar and give everyone read access. If one of my bands gets a gig lead they can pull it up on their phone immediately. Conflicts happen, but not often.

FFOGG and Yer Blues like this.
  5. sws1

sws1 Member

I play in 2 bands. But it's the same 4 people. So it's easy. Typically first come first serve.

FFOGG and Yer Blues like this.
  6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

For me, it was always first up, first booked, but there's always one guy who wants to take the biggest money even when it comes in after he's allegedly "committed" to a date.

7. mikebat

mikebat Member

First come, it's the only fair way.

I once knew a guy who would say yes to everything and get triple booked....then scramble at the end...he left more than a few high and dry. Despite him being a first call type player, his reputation took a huge hit. Nice guy too!

8. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I definitely agree with doing the gig once you commit... just wondering if anyone ever passed/held off on committing. I guess at that point you are putting the band in a bind.

I've tried google calendar a couple times, but no one ever used it so I gave up. Now, I have a master spreadsheet in Excel I screenshot and send to bandleaders every 2-3 months requesting they confirm. It works well for my situation.

9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Did that once, though we actually had 3 bands (we added the female singer and other guitar player from an OTHER band the bass and drums played in, for a wedding band). We actually got booked to open for ourselves once. :). One was a 50s band the other was a surf band. That was fun. The sound man was like "hey, you guys are great, on time, easy sound check, but this other band hasn't even shown up". And we are like "oh, we know them guys. they'll show up at the last minute and just play our gear. It's all cool." But he found out before we went on, it would have been fun if we had come out as the first band, just to see his face, lol.

On the subject of the OP. Done multiple bands a bunch. Usually, I had a "primary" band, so I wouldn't have booked a NYE gig with another band. But we booked months out, we had a rule, if we were a month (it might have been 2 months, it was a while ago) and nothing was booked, you were free to do whatever. Gig, vacation, whatever. Just update the guy who kept the calendar/bookings and it was all good. I don't remember it being an issue.

If you are just freelancing, then it doesn't matter. Take whatever gig you want. If you want to wait for a better offer, that is fine. If you take a gig, you should let the other band know you are not available, in whatever way works for y'all. They should be confirming your availability anyway before firmly committing. The last band I was in, the bass and drums played in another band, the steel player played in 3 or 4. No issues, the drummer did the booking, she would just confirm before committing - with phones and email these days it just takes minutes. We did use subs a couple times. I've also subbed for our bass player in his other band.

I've actually lost gigs because I was already committed. Lost a tour because I had a gig booked out of town and would have had to miss a rehearsal. Sorry, not going to cancel at the last minute on someone just because a better offer came along. Long story, it all worked out in the end anyway.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    sws1 likes this.
  10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

• Use a calendar app, so everyone can see the dates.
    • First gig booked is the one you take.
    • If you have potential dates but they aren't confirmed yet, put them on the calendar with a note that says "potential show". That way if an offer comes up with another band people know to ask and coordinate with you for the best possible outcome.
    • Once you commit, your solemn oath has been given. Bailing for another gig means you suck as a human. Only exception is a call up to the big game that can't be passed up....which virtually never happens....until it does.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    Fatboy666 likes this.
  11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

i make my calendar, and whatever i've committed to is where i play.

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Right, for a band member, and for the band, too...don't cancel a gig for a better paying gig on the same night...bad business!

13. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

But, but, GnR called and Slash is sick!

John Hurtt likes this.
  14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I'll grab my tophat and wig!

15. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

I can tell you’ve been waiting for this moment.

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

This is what you do. Take the first gig that comes along and honor it. If you don't, you may get a reputation for having no integrity.

17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

The NYE gig can be stressful for me if I get offered a gig.

I’m contracted for the night at my regular gig, however, we’ve only actually played it once in the last 5 years. We get paid our regular gig rate for the night if they book a headliner. And it’s fine, I get the night off and still get paid. If we play, we get double rate and sometimes a bonus. That’s fantastic.

I get offered gigs that pay well with other bands, but I can’t commit because my gig hasn’t let me know whether we’re off or not.

I took one a couple of years ago and it worked out great, but it was a gamble. I let them know ahead of time, “this is my deal, I may have to bail on the gig...6 weeks out”.
    Sucks.

Think I’ll just take the night off this year, if that’s the case.

18. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

in all the bands I play in we have an unwritten rule - you commit to the gig, you do it. Unless something WAY out of the ordinary happens, like smallbutmighty said - you get the big headliner opening slot.

Yes, you did say you would play Murray's Clam Shack on the 25th of next month, but John Fogarty wants your other band to open. But can you please try to help us find a sub?

19. briwinters

briwinters Member

Upfront I’d agree with everyone hear who is saying honor the first gig, no matter what. But I’ve got a situation where I’m not doing that myself so there are grey areas...

I play with an acoustic group about once a month....small places, super eclectic setlist, not the best musicians. But they are great friends, super supportive. And I want to support what they are doing. When they book gigs they tend to do it for many months in advance. And inevitably other gigs come along on some of those nights....bigger places, pro level musicians at double the pay or more. If I had to honor the “first come first serve” rule I would have to quit the acoustic group which no one wants me to do. They have a sub for me all ready to jump in anytime so they never miss a gig if I pass on it. I am upfront with them that their gig is a lower priority and can get bumped. Allows me to keep supporting their thing and works out for all.

I will say that for most people that won’t work. Musicians do get reputations if they play too cute navigating between multiple gigs. I play with a band whose regular drummer is starting to lose the gig because of how he is juggling his other commitments. Apparently he took another gig one night so the band leader hired a sub. Then the other gig got canceled so he called the bandleader telling him he was available and to lose the sub. Now THAT will get you a bad reputation in a hurry!

20. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

If you take the gig, you do the gig. NYE scheduling is a gamble, so you decide whether the risk is worth it or not, but stick to what you committed. 2 years ago I was pretty sure that I was going to be called on a good-paying NYE gig, so I turned down a lesser-paying one augmenting an existing band.

I wound up doing sound that night, wishing I was playing instead... when the BL from the good-paying gig called around, he was told (by someone who knew I'd turned down the first gig) that I was booked on NYE so he never called me.