Question for HIWATT gurus!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by South of heaven, Feb 10, 2015.

1. South of heaven

South of heaven Member

Hey guys.. A friend of mine has a mid 80's Hiwatt custom 100. He brought it over my house from his practice space to jam with a few times recently and I am mind f*cked by how awesome the thing sounds. Cuts through incredibly, great power, awesome cleans, and for rhythm it is so full and carries such a wide frequency range, tons of low end especially, very impressed. Anyhow, I've been contemplating getting one.

Onto my question. The late 2000's Hiwatt dr103's. Should I stear clear? There is a nice white one on the market and it looks beautiful but it likely is not like my friends after all, or would it be? This is one of the custom color heads, is it Fernandez or MG who made these ones? I think so, not sure. Can anyone give me input here. Do I need to stick to pre mid 80's? I know many feel that after reeves passed, hiwatts weren't the same, which is 81-82 I believe. Thank you

2. 71strat

71strat Member

If you want a Modern Real Deal Hiwatt go to HI TONE.

Dans Reeves Son works there and is in charge of Quality Control and, Parts Sourcing.

This is the Only Real Deal Hiwatt. Endorsed by the Reeves Family.

Also they make the Best Hiwatt copy speakers beating out the competition about 4-5 years in a row.

HI TONE = Real Deal. Avoid the Others.

About Us

HI-TONE Amplification began as the idea of President Clayton Callaway. Clayton builds every HI-TONE with love and unmatched attention to detail. Clayton is responsible for the day to day activities such as shipping, receiving, purchasing etc.

Mark Huss serves as HI-TONE's Vice President of Research and Development. Anyone familiar with vintage Hiwatt amps has heard Mark's name. Mark is the preeminent expert on the inner workings of vintage Hiwatt amps (among other makes).

Glynn Reeves is the son of late HIWATT founder Dave Reeves. Glynn is responsible for U.K. based component sourcing and circuit accuracy. Glynn has been key in putting HI-TONE in a class all its own.

No one knows or loves authentic Dave Reeves HIWATT amps more than us.

Since there was nothing like them in the new marketplace, we felt obligated to making these amps available to discerning musicians

3. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I'd recommend Hi-Tone as well. I've also liked Reeves Amplification. The late-2000's Hiwatt could be from Music Ground. Feel free to do research on them. I had a Studio-Stage that was a really good amp but not really a true Hiwatt. For as much money I would spend, I just went out and bought the original Hylight-era Hiwatts, although I see they are becoming more difficult to find.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Having owned legit vintage Hiwatt (yes I sold them, I'm a moron) I went the clone route and I'm happy with it. It's not the same but close. If I was buying a new amp, it'd be Hitone.

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

If I was in the market for a new Hiwatt, I'd go with a Reeves.

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

Why ?

7. woof*

woof* Member

Hi-Tone all the way

8. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

Reeves are awesome, and many of their amps are far more versatile than just a hiwatt clone. Hi Tone is, as everyone has said, the absolute closest thing you'll get to a brand new authentic hylight era hiwatt. If i were in the market for a vintage hiwatt and had the money to spend on a clean, all original one, it would be quite difficult to convince myself to not just get a new hi tone. That being said, my hiwatt itch is scratched with a ceriatone 504, and I couldn't be happier. Its build quality is rock solid, its guts are absolutely beautiful to behold, its sound is beastly and unmistakably hiwatt, and I'm never apprehensive about taking it to gigs. Compared to the handful of modern "hiwatts" i've played, it is the superior amp by no small margin.

9. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I owned two Reeves (a CP-504 and a Custom 50) at one time and they were amazingly good sounding amps. There's a part of me that really misses those amps because they were just perfect for large stages. My gigs now only require a Deluxe Reverb, so the Reeves were sold. I definitely recommend Reeves amps for the Hiwatt thing.

10. louis

louis Supporting Member

Hi-Tone give's Royalty's the the Reeve family

11. pvampmgr

pvampmgr Member

The Harry Joyce amps are awesome too, but you would have an easier time buying a great old Hiwatt. Just an FYI, I wouldn't buy an old Hiwatt if it didn't have the HyLite Electronics plate on the back as well as the white speaker outputs. That's the business right there! Also, what a lot of people used to do is have the V1 preamp tube modified to use both 1/2's of the tube. Original Hiwatts didn't, as to keep the clean headroom to a max. Best pedal amps ever, but if you are buying to use and not to invest, don't be afraid of the 50's. PLENTY loud and you'll hit the power section sooner.

Added: if you want to hear my old HW DR50, here's a link. The signal chain is guitar>Boss CS-3>Line 6 DL-4>amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtV1yELyjA0

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. woof*

woof* Member

Well done! Nice clip, playing, and band.
    Please take this clip over to the "gigging w tiny amp thread" :)

13. Harry Joyce USA

Harry Joyce USA Member

Yes, they are awesome...