Question for Jim McCoy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesO, Jul 29, 2006.

1. JamesO

JamesO Member

Hi Jim

I was just watching your video.google.com videos and got really excited to hear the prisoner delay. Since to window I gave myself to get my delay has finally arrived, it was exciting to decide it was the delay for me. Great sound like the memory lane, half the price. Then I remembered it probably doesn't have a tap tempo....

Back to the DL4 for me, it seems. Can you compare the analogue with mod sound of the two?

2. fatback

fatback Member

Not sure who Jim is... ;) My friends call me John.

The Prisoner was a loaner last month, but I'll try my best. It doesn't have near the time, features, or control options of a DL-4, but it does have a nice warm sound. I only use my DL-4 for it's looping, reverse, and swell settings. I much prefer the Boss DD-20 for it's mod delays sounds. The Prisoner has a lot of flexablilty in it's mod section and it's ability to modulate the delay time instead of just chorusing the delay signal makes it excell at wacked out sounds. I use a Maxon AD-900 for longer delays and a DL-4 for loops and am now considering getting a Prisoner for some of it's crazier sounds.

cheers.

3. JamesO

JamesO Member

Oop, sorry John :)

Do you think the DL4 can have that warm sound or decently close?

http://www.languagepool.net/music/nothing.mp3

This is really the sort of sound I'm after. It's not harsh. Thanks for helping me btw. All I have is guitar center, and whatever cruddy amp they bless us with in the effects dept. It's impossible to be comfortable with that.

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

love the clip, what is it ??

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

wow, +1, I love that sound and clip...please do tell what it is...

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

ah Dropped D tuning - very tasty!

7. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Hi John,

I have an AD999. How do you think it compares to the AD900?

8. JamesO

JamesO Member

Thanks guys. That's Derek Webb, from his "I See Things Upside Down," album. Definitely one of my favorite CD's.

9. JamesO

JamesO Member

Well, I'm leaving for vacation this morning and just wanted to let you all know so it doesn't seem like I'm ditching out on my thread here.

10. thebot

thebot Member

Have a good vacation! :D

11. fatback

fatback Member

James:
    I'd say that the DL-4 can get you fairly close, but again, the DD-20 gets closer. Neither could touch the warmth of an actual tube driven tape-echo, but both are much more versatile. In general I avoid using "warm" to describe anything that has been converted to digital and then back to analog. Tubes can add "warmth" AD-DA converters generally don't.

...11uc:
    I had an AD-999 and moved it on. I just prefer the texture and tone of the AD-900's repeats. Not a huge difference, but definately noticeable when compared.