Question for John Suhr/Suhr owners...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hendrix2430, Feb 14, 2006.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy Suhr Pro Series 0002 from Namm, which has an alder body, Maple/IRW neck, two singles and a bucker. It also has a Wilkinson VG300 bridge, which I'm not familiar with.

My question is: how is that configuration gonna sound vs a vintage style strat?

The other strat I'm talking about has also an alder body, maple/BRW, suhr V60LPs, vintage style tremolo and vintage style tuners.

I'm looking for a more meaty tone, in the "LP extra lite" vein. Is that Pro series going to provide that for me? Or will the alder body tame the fatness that the HB, IRW would induce?

I'm curious about the VG300 bridge as well. Will this provide additional "heff" to the sound as well?

As you may have noticed, I'm trying to find out if the suhr will be redundant, or if it will provide a thicker alternative to the more vintage oriented strat.

Thank you!

2. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

If you already have a traditional style Strat the Suhr with the SSH pickup configuration will allow you to get some sounds that aren't possible on with a SSS pickup configuration.
    I have a Suhr Classic. It's an ash body with big V maple neck. 2 singles and a DSV bucker in the bridge position. It has the standard bridge with the push in arm. When using the neck and middle pickups it behaves like a traditional strat. The bucker in the bridge does provide a meatier tone. The DSV is not a "hot" pickup so it won't go all the way to Les Paul land, but it's hot enough and blends pretty well with the other pickups. I have a 5 way switch. It splits the bucker when used with the middle pickup. That does provide some pretty good quack in that position. It's not quite like having single coils and it does hum in that posiion. It's a useable compromise for having the bucker in bridge.

3. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

thanks for the reply :)

Well it's mine now, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. According to Suhr, there is no quality difference between the pro series and custom orders, same woods, plek, same hardware, final assembly and setup by the same people so I'm thinking I'm getting a ton of a guitar for the money (i hope!) :BEER

4. shadco

shadco Member

This thread is totally useless without [​IMG]

Congrats by the way you are in for a treat!:RoCkIn

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

For the "Les Paul Extra Lite" sound, that'll be a great guitar, methinks.

If you don't often split the coils on the bridge p/u, you can really lighten up the sound of a bridge located HB pu by adjusting it a little further away from the strings, I've found.

Also try rolling the guitar vol back to 8 or 9 while on that p/u - on my CU-24, it works better than I thought it would when others suggested it to me. Really lightens up the "thickness" of the axe.

I write this only because I was a dedicated "open throttle" player for many years - vol and tone all the way up. In the course of trying to "tame" Strats, I discovered the vol and tone control, and I discovered they work really well for dialing in a Tele.

I'm still working on the Strat thing (GRIN) I'll probably fight those damn guitars 'til my death. They sure sound good, but when I set 'em up so they do, I can't play 'em. When I get 'em to where they play right, they don't sound good. It's the height of the action I have trouble with, coupled with a floating bridge setup. Maybe a hardtail?

I've been trying to take a less combative stance with the Strats, but so far, I'm not comfortable. I still play 'em, but it's a fight every time.

Story of my life.

Dana

6. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

thanks Dana, nice post!

7. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Ahh ok! Bad shot but here is it anyway. This one, Serial 0002! From Namm:

BTW, I like plain looking guitars, but I think this blackie would look even nicer with a bordeaux tortoise guard (a la Landau classic), what do you think? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Update please!

How are you enjoying your Suhr Pro. I have two Suhrs and am planning on getting a third. These have caught my eye. Whadda ya think?

-MArk

9. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi!

I think it is a great guitar. The bridge (VG300) is awesome IMO...a nice change. The fretwork and finish are flawless, as expected, and the neck is very comfortable. But most importantly, it sounds extremely good. Very hi fi, more modern sounding than my haar relic, but that's what I wanted.

If you enjoy the pro's specs, I think it's a no brainer (vs a custom order)