Question for luthiers- shaping a neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulvcarter, May 13, 2015.

1. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question but if I love a guitar but not the neck is there any issue I should be aware of if I sand or shave the neck?

I have lightly sanded most of my guitar neck to improve the speed and playability but I have one I'd love to reduce much more.

Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. telephone

telephone Supporting Member

You certainly don't want to sand or shave enough wood to expose the truss rod channel. Did that once while shaping a new neck. Sucked.

3. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

you may want to try rolling the fingerboard edged first... it's less "invasive"... while, if you have a maple fingerboard, it will remove some of the finish... that's relatively easy to repair...

most of the time when ya pick up a guitar and the neck feels great, it has rolled edges.

IF that doesn't work, then it's time for brain surgery..

Ron Kirn

4. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

The guitar in question is a Fender Am Std 2015 - neck is ok but I like a V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Then you are in luck. Good thing you aren't looking for a wizard-thin neck. You shouldn't run into the truss rod if you stick to the sides. Good luck.

6. doc

doc Member

Other than going too far, the major problem is replacing the finish. If you like mostly bare wood, you could just apply some tung oil or something and be done. I've considered shaving the neck on a LP myself, but I'd want the cherry finish reapplied and I lack the skill set - it costs a lot more to get the finish right than to do the actual shaping.