Question for Mac guys

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I just got a Mac Mini that I intend to use for recording. I also intended to use an old 22" Cinema Display that I used to use with a G5 that I sold. I didn't really think it through too well, because the display has an "ADC" plug which supplies both video and power to the unit, while the Mini supports either mini displayport, HDMI, or DVI (via a supplied adapter).

I went shopping for an Apple ADC to DVI converter which is something that Apple apparently stopped making. Ebay sellers list them anywhere from $60-100 (including shipping).

I can't decide whether to keep throwing money at this old monitor until it works, or to get a new DVI monitor or even an HDMI-equipped small flat-screen TV. Again, the primary use will be for a small home recording setup (not a studio...I'll be the only one using it).

Thanks!

2. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

Might want to price out a HDMI/DVI monitor...prices have good pretty attractive! I like newegg.com but there are plenty of vendors out there.

3. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

If I were you I'd eBay the old-school Cinema display. Take lots of pictures, verify conclusively that there are no dead or stuck pixels, and pluck at the nostalgia heart-strings in your description prose. Apple stuff has emotional attachments for its users. Play on that. It's entirely possible that you'll still get $150-200 for it.

If you are using monitors strictly for recording and/or recreational use (and not mission-critical graphic design/video projects that require accurate color or ultra-gaming that benefits from fast refreshes) you can get great monitors for cheap that are way more future-proof than any ADC-era Cinema display. You can get a decent 1080p 22" LCD with all the modern i/o for under $200 brand new under warranty.

I run a three monitor system off of a lowly 2006 MBP–the original 15" display on the MBP + 2 Samsung 22" 1080p monitors (using a Matrox breakout box and software that fools the MBP into thinking that the two monitors are one big monitor). That is a LOT of screen real estate for plug-ins and channel strips. You could do the same with your Mini. One of the biggest and easiest productivity gains a person can experience with computer systems is a larger work surface. For sound mixing, definitely true.

FWIW.

4. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

*tear* i remember my PC setup for mixing had 2 23" monitors next to each other. At the time everyone was going for the massive 27"-30" monitors coming out, but you get more real estate by just using 2 smaller ones next to each other. Workflow went through the roof, and not just for mixing...so i will most definitely agree with this statement, and add ESPECIALLY for sound mixing...i had the timeline and everything in one screen and the plugs and mixer on the other screen, knew what was happening at any possible moment in time.

5. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

With my set-up using Logic, I can view a 50+ channel mixer on one screen, the sound file editing environment on the other, and use the MBP itself for plug-ins or to check email/web periodically while working. I think two or more 22" screens @ 1080p resolution is just as practical as a monster 30" screen for a LOT less cash.

I am hoping to upgrade my studio soon with a MP tower. When I do, I'll probably run three or more 22" monitors off of it. I'll be doing work with EWQL orchestral stuff as well as Toontrack's SD2, and having a screen dedicated to hosted sample libraries in addition to Logic's mixer and timeline on their own screens makes sense to me.