Question for Mesa 5:50 users.

Mike Schram

Hello,

I recently tried a 5:50 combo and i have a question for people that have had the amp for awhile. I found the drive channel flabby and loose and real muddy, is this normal? i practically had to have the Bass on 1 to use it. I also plugged it in an Orange 2x 12 for comparison with the same results.

Your thoughts? I really like the the look of this amp and i was hoping that it would have been a better version than my old DC-3 head which had nice tight chunky bottom end.

Thanks

jbt7764

First make sure the amp is set to 50w not 5. I tend to keep all of the tone control below 12:00. Contour on and usually about 12:00 strait up. I've notice the 5:50 starts to really sound good as you turn it up. The only mode I've noticed a little muddiness would be in the blues mode. I tend to use the blues mode as a pushed clean with gain under 2:00.
What kind of pick-ups and guitar are you playing? I'm coming from playing a DC-5 and much prefer the 5:50. I usually play a 56 CS Strat, SG Standard and a 335. All sound good.
When I gig out I play with just the clean channel and a pedal board. It sounds fantastic. ( Clyde wah-tuner-barber tone press-diamond phase-OCD v1-OCD v4, T-Rex replica -AMP)
I am not a huge high gain player we play (Credence, Steeley,Clapton etc.)
If you play newer metal stuff I haven't used it that way.
I hope this helps.

Mike Schram

Thanks for the reply.

I use a LP Standard w/ SD Custom in the bridge and a Fender USA Strat with a JB/Jazz combo. i don't play metal, but more 80's rock tones like a slightly pushed old VH tone.

I'll go in and try it again and see if i can turn it up a bit

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Mine's not flabby, but I don't use a lot of gain. I think the amp is better suited to vintage style to classic rock tones.

Modern tubes vary quite a bit. I'd swap in different brands.

Laxrappa11

ive run a strat, tele, and sg through this amp and if dialed correctly its anything but flabby. its actually really, really tight and stiff. almost to a fault. 5 watt mode being on by accident could be the culprit tho, burn mode gets a little loose here

Adel2

If you're looking for old VH sounds, you might want to try the Crunch mode of channel 1 instead. The crunch mode actually surprised me with it's tight sounds and pure classic rock (and some blues) feel.

I admit I heard a bit of a slightly artificial top end in the crunch mode when I first got the amp, but I put different tubes in the preamp section and now every thing about this mode sounds organic and amazing!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom