Question for people who play guitar in church

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jadams71, Jan 27, 2016.

1. scott944

scott944 Member

Not a V, but I've played this in church...
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

Nom.

Would.

3. burner

burner Member

Man, I *really * do need to get out and visit some of these churches!

Lewguitar likes this.
  4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I just bought a T5 from the emporium here, looking forward to trying it out.

5. axe4me

axe4me Member

I've done plenty of gigs since 1969.
    Bars; sessions; jams; fill ins............a bunch.

Playing in church has expanded my musicality.
    I'm playing more of the same chords I've done in the past but much more diversity in inversions; playing solos in relative keys and using alternate chords to enhance melodies.
    There's much more to blues licks; scales/modes and copying finger tapping that I'd play for a bar crowd.

Play as you're told by a director and get repeat performances is a big deal to me.
    You need to be versatile. It's like a studio gig where a producer tells you what to play.
    Either you do it, and get asked to come back, or you don't, and don't come back.

The difference is that you're playing live under a director's guidance.
    Sort of like playing in a pro orchestra setting.
    You need to have the right frame of mind.
    IMO, I'm playing in praise of the Creator and I need to check my ego and play thoughtfully and panoramically.
    I'm putting my take on music from the Readings.
    The fact that I'm still doing it means that my playing is pleasing.

I get to play clean and dirty.
    It's a lot of fun.
    I'm not a Holy Roller by any means.
    I'm very self conscious.

I've done corporate dinner gigs by the recommendation of parishioners.
    I've been asked to play paying church gigs in 3 different parishes.

I've realized that playing as directed is important.
    3 different church music directors have given the greatest compliment........."you're flexible".
    I've never heard a bar owner tell me that.

In one parish, we get to play what's written in different flavors.
    We've done songs in a Celtic; New Orleans Jazz; Rock or Ska feel.
    It's a challenge and it's rewarding.
    The parishioners love it.
    They tell me.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    lemonman, Fab4ever, Spec and 2 others like this.
  6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Thank you for an intelligent response.

7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

1) keep it to gear and gig stop going passed that into religion.

2) if you don't care for the topic don't troll/Piss on/complain in the thread. Rules are clear, topic is within bounds if rules are followed. Ignore the thread if the topic irritates you.

Warnings handed out, posts deleted.

Lewguitar likes this.
  8. icecreman

icecreman Member

This may be a bit off topic but I have a question about church bands. I am not the religious type but my parents are very religious and want to see their church grow with younger people. I see a band like some of you are discussing here as a potential to attract the younger generation. What I don't know is whether their church would be a fit for this. It's a very old church (1885) and one protestant denomination who historically only ever sung hymns with a choir for music. Their pastor is young and may go for something like this.

Has anyone successfully started a P&W band in a setting like this or is it more of a modern non-denominational thing?

If this belongs somewhere else please let me know. Thanks.

9. qblue

qblue Member

Well, our Baptist church is in an old building from 1890, but the age of the church shouldn't affect how you praise. Most of the older patrons want to sing the hymns, so we cater to that on invitational and congregational songs. For P&W, we often delve into contemporary and modern gospel styles. It has been an evolution, as we just didn't start straight into the modern styles. All the musicians want to do the modern stuff, but the pastor and older folks like it in that older fashion, but they tolerate us anyway.

Besides it is really difficult to infuse those hymns with guitars. Luckily our older pianist is a flexible stylist, as I am, and we make it work. Also you don't need to be real loud, as that is what turns people off, and turns sound men into control freaks. If your church is really old, too loud may cause structural damage. LOL! We have a lot of vintage colored leaded glass that I'd would rather have remain intact. Playing in clubs is not the same as playing in church. The biggest difference is the lack of alcohol, a brain depressant, which means the first thing to go is your hearing after a few drinks. Church people can hear well, especially while in service. Drunks get loud because they can't hear, a side effect of even a few drinks!

We do like Jesus Culture songs as they seem to espouse simple themes that people remember later in the day. And to wake them up, we do an old gospel song in a revved up manner. We have done Celtic songs that are rearranged to a more modern sound. Country songs are streamlined into a more R&B concept. Always play to your audience, and you'll still get a chance to express yourself on your particular instrument, and mostly as a team.

All I can say it's a challenge to rework some songs that people will hear and accept. Otherwise, it would be boring. Accept the challenge. The songs tend to non-denominational and fit most churches, because they are written that way.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    icecreman likes this.
  10. Spec

Spec Member

I've been in this situation a couple of times. Typically what happens is a new "contemporary" service sprouts up but not on Sunday morning. In my experience that service eventually becomes more popular than the traditional Sunday service and either becomes an additional morning service or replaces the traditional.

Usually there will be a core of people that won't want a contemporary service but most embrace it and welcome a growing church.

icecreman likes this.
  11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I play LPs and a LP Jr through a Germino - cause no one else does. Although one of my LPs is a chambered standard.