Question For PRS Bernie Marsden Owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axe4me, Feb 22, 2016.

1. axe4me

axe4me Member

Would you compare the BM to a Gibson Les Paul Std?

Is the BM comparable in any way?

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

There is a YouTube vid where Bernie himself plays and talks about his legendary '59 LP "the beast" and the PRS Bernie. He makes the PRS sound darn good (though the Beast is a BEAST)

3. axe4me

axe4me Member

I've seen that video.......but BM is selling.
    I'd like to know the poop from owners.

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

The Marsden is very comparable to an LP in my opinion. They both cover much of the same sonic ground. I put a new nut and new tuners(stock tuners rattled like crazy)on my Marsden. That was all it needed. Great guitar.

5. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

IMHO its arguably the most LP-like of the PRS offerings. A great guitar, especially for the $.

Teleman, bricel24 and Carnifexblue like this.
  6. jasonk931

jasonk931 Supporting Member

I used to refinish, build, etc on Les Pauls every single day. I got a Bernie recently, and my mind was changed! What a machine! I modded it, but due to my trip to Israel with family in 3 weeks, I have to part with it. I put it on ebay. It will sell in about two hours. I love it, and when I return, I will get another and mod again. The balance is unreal good!

7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Slight derail here. I just got a prs se 245, and it is very un les paul-ish.

So much so that Im pretty sure Im gonna return it.

Just wondered isnt se 245 and BM pretty similar? If so Id be leary of BM.

On the other hand, I have yet to read a bad review.

8. jasonk931

jasonk931 Supporting Member

The Bernie is fatter in the body than a 245. Bernie set it up to be as close to his 1959 Les Paul as possible. Here's mine that's on eBay right now.

[​IMG]

Lewguitar and jetydosa like this.
  9. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

The PRE BM is based on Bernie's "Beast" '59 Les Paul. The neck is supposedly modeled after it as well. As previously mentions the body itself is thicker than the normal SE245's. I didn't really bond with the PRS pickups so swapped mine out as many other has but after doing that...it is very much on par with a Les Paul type guitar and for the $$ is a real keeper IMO.

10. Phyllis

Phyllis Member

The BM is definitely a great gear and the best quality/price ratio IMO. Unfortunately it has been discontinued..

Pups are ok especially the neck. PRS made a limited (50 guitars) edition for the UK market with 53/10 pups (with coil tap), but they do not sell those in the EU (the other PRS core pups they sell which are suitable for BM/245 are SC245 or 59/09, IMHO.

Another alternative pups in order to elevate the already good quality of BM and getting closer to a real LP are possibly the Beast Bucker that crazyparts started producing a few months ago..

here is an interesting comparison between PRS SE 245 (very close to the Bernie) and other LPs:

no doubt that PRS SE (especially with 245 pups) are great!

11. ibis

ibis Member

My Bernie has Whole Lotta Humbuckers and has a superb neck.
    I also have a R7 but play the Bernie more, despite being told by a punter they liked my "Les Paul copy". But I'll take playability over kudos anyday. The upper fret access is much better on the Bernie.
    Pricewise there's no comparison even allowing for the cost of mods to your own taste.
    My neck pup has a series/parallel vol pot push/pull switch. The Vol pot for the bridge pup is a phase switch for when both pups are on (Greeny). The tone pot has a push/push partial split on the bridge pup (DGT). Vintage wiring scheme, paper in oil cap, treble bleed circuit on volumes. Upgraded toggle switch. Locking tuners.
    I have more prestigious guitars but this one hangs around the rehearsal room and gets the gigs.

12. ibis

ibis Member

Here's mine. It has quite a dark edge burst compared to some others I've seen.

[​IMG]

TA22GT, Crimson Queen, Kostas and 3 others like this.
  13. Baloo010

Baloo010 Member

Alright here is your answer, close your eyes and press play on that video.

Both sound amazing, I couldn't tell when he played a guitar worth $800 or $450000

jetydosa and Phyllis like this.
  14. Phyllis

Phyllis Member

great video and another is even better:

15. Phyllis

Phyllis Member

while here a comparison with the limited PRS 53/10 version (2012 I guess)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  16. Phyllis

Phyllis Member

so the real debate should be: assuming that's maybe the best PRS SE ever, what pups could improve it most? its project (how Bernie asked to modify the SE 245 from which it originates) is the well known Gibson LP 59 (the Beast).

IMHO there are 2 main options: one is to stick with the producer design (PRS) and take 53/10 whenever available. Other logical choices among the PRS pups are 59/09 and SC245, I guess.

The other one is to take the Beast Bucker from crazyparts:
    http://www.crazyparts.de/area59/the-beast-bucker/the-beast-bucker-standard-set-new.php

That has been produced "duplicating" - as for electrical output and magnet composition - Bernie's "The Beast" Gibson '59 pups.

I'm not saying that other pups cannot work, of course (and stock ones are really good IMO), depending on your personal taste and music. But the BM was made for emulating an historical gear and as I understand, Gibson new pups aren't that good.

17. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I think they're comparable and similar...but not the same.

I'd love to have a Bernie with a nice top...even though it's a flame maple veneer over a plain maple top, rather than a solid flamed maple top.

Anyone selling one?

18. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

I've been playing for 40 + years. For most of that time my main guitar has been a Gibson '63 SG Junior conversion i.e. fitted with two humbuckers. Wonderful guitar that feels alive in your hands. About 6 years ago I chanced upon and fell in love with a Gibson Firebird Studio. A real powerhouse of a guitar that I fitted with Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell pickups. It's been my main gigging guitar ever since until - I can't remember how I heard about the Bernie but I was in a position to treat myself and went to try one out at my local store.

It felt like it had been waiting for me it was SO comfortable to play and it sounded great. I love Bare Knuckle Pickups so I replaced the perfectly good originals with a set of even better Bare Knuckle Abraxas which are basically overwound PAFs. The Bernie is now number one. It sounds HUGE. Great, punchy bottom end that hits you in the guts, wonderful mids and a biting top end with no icepick.

I've never owned a Les Paul but I've played a fair few and always felt underwhelmed. If there's an LP out there that's better than my Bernie it would have to be one hell of a guitar.

TA22GT and Phyllis like this.
  19. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

I had a Bernie for a while and probably would still have it were it not for the three knobs...four would have been my preference. Great guitar and one of my favorite necks ever. But, man, that's one of the prettiest guitars...Bernie or not. Congrats!

ibis likes this.
  20. ibis

ibis Member

I see that could be a problem for LP players. Ironically it was one of the factors that drew me to it as I've been playing Hamers, with a similar control layout, for many, many years prior to getting a Bernie. I remember the original conversion from SGs took some getting used to. I did wonder when the model came out just why Marsden or PRS would go with just three knobs, given its clear role as LP alternative?