Question for Reverend guitar owners

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BluesWannabe, Feb 27, 2006.

1. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

Hello,

This is my first post but I've been lurking for months.

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years, and I've owned a whole bunch of them... I still have a dozen or so...

I just got a new Reverend Slingshot... ordered around New Year's, delivered about 3 weeks ago... it plays great, looks great (like a Rick Vito standard model w/o aluminum), great vibe, sounds great...

Here's the deal... I'm embarrassed to say it .... the smell of the guitar makes me queasy... it seems to be the finish on the neck, not the phenolic top.... my wife and daughter can smell it, but they don't have a problem with it....

I've left it out on a stand for 10 days now (I was travelling when it was delivered). I have been hoping that the smell would fade...

So, am I completely nuts here, or has anyone else had this experience, and if so, did it go away?

I'm outside of my 14 day test drive, but even if I wasn't, I can't imagine calling Reverend and saying "Um, Joe... I love the guitar, but I want to send it back because it makes me sick!"

Nice first post, huh?

(I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, or hijack the "Reverend Gallery" thread... sorry if this is in the wrong place...)

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP! Visit and post often. :)

The Rev Gallery covers all things Rev and more, your post would be perfect there.

If your family and you all smell it, you're not nuts. I do have to say, though, I've been following these guitars since '00 including having personally played well over a hundred and thought I'd seen and heard it all by now but this is a new one to me.

3. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

That's a first. But...

Did it come with a case? The cases do have a strong smell when new.

If it is the fingerboard, try this:
    - Discard the strings.
    - Clean the fingerboard thoroughly with naptha (lighter fluid) and a clean rag.
    - Lightly oil the fingerboard with lemon oil (assuming the smell of lemons is ok with you). Wipe off the excess. let it sit for an hour, and wipe off the excess again with a dry rag.
    - Re-string.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

My friend, I don't think it's possible to hijack the Reverend thread. To say that it's "freewheeling" would be more than modest understatement. Also, you are now filling me with the compulsion to sniff my guitars. My mental health is questionable at best, but this could get me tossed away! :NUTS

Seriously, try Joe's suggestions, and let us know what happens. I've never noticed that my Revs smell different than other new guitars, but who knows? Stranger things have certainly happened. And welcome to posting.

5. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

Joe -

Thanks a lot for the reply... yes it did come with a case (the B&W tear drop version). As I mentioned, I've kept the guitar out of the case, on a stand for 10 days now... I will see if the case is the source of the smell...

I will do what you say regarding cleaning/re-oiling the fingerboard...

This is really weird - I'm really not a hypochondriac - and I don't have "issues" hehe...

Other than this, the guitar is so much different than anything else I have... it's light (but not too light), the P90's sound fantastic, and I love the way it looks...

Thanks again...

6. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

Thanks Jon - and it's a new one to me, too! I tried out a couple of Reverend's before ordering one, and never had any problems...

Yes, and now I get to go home, and sniff the case... and then I have to sniff around to see if the fretboard is the source, or the back of the neck... needless to say this is one picture that will not be posted here!

I thought it was just the new guitar smell, too. (actually, as Joe Naylor mentioned, often it's the case that smells new...) but I've never had an issue like this before.

I will let you all know... thanks to all!

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

BTW, where in LI do you live? For junior high and high school I lived in Massapequa Park.

Q. What's the difference between Jerry Seinfeld, Alec Baldwin, Brian Setzer, Elliot Easton, and me?

A. I'm the one from Massapequa High School you know personally! :)

8. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

FWIW, I notice the smell for new Reverends. It wears off after awhile. I actually LIKE the smell--kind of like the new car smell. Probably not good for you; chemicals and all, but it does wear off, it just takes awhile. My advice would be to leave it out of it's case and leave the case wide open for a few weeks.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Yeah, both my Revs came in B&W teardrop cases and both had a distinct smell, which I don't mind. It was more obvious in the SSC I ordered direct from Reverend than the Rocco which I bought from a dealer and had presumably been sitting around in the shop for a while .. which suggests to me it should fade with time.

10. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

In Great Neck, but I grew up in Queens... if you have to commute to NYC every day, it's a good location...

And I'm honored!

11. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

Okay, at least I know I'm not totally nuts... thank you both very much!!

12. TonyV

TonyV Member

Could be the case.

I have a Fender Strat that I bought new in 1993,
    the case still smells, I could not leave it open and be in the same room with it. It was a very strong sort of new car smell but not in a good way. I have never been able to get the smell out of it, the guitar would have that smell on it but obviously not as strong.
    So I leave the guitar on a stand in my music room and eventually it was fine, I use a gig bag for it.

13. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

FYI:

Our general email address has been changed to: sales@reverendguitars.com

The website is now only at: www.reverendguitars.com

Anything with "reverendDIRECT.com" in it will no longer work. It's all been changed to reverendGUITARS.com

Thanks.