question for rocktron banshee users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teefus, Jan 30, 2006.

1. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i tried one the other day at rehearsal and had a couple of set up questions. when using the "to amp" output the signal is cut off from your amp when the effect is engaged, right? how do you all get around the stage volume drop? do you use a sep. speaker cab for the "speaker" output of the banshee? thanks, craig

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The speaker outlet on the Banshee is a courtesy outlet. It's used when you want to connect a speaker and use the Banshee like a preamp for practice or something like that. It is not meant to be connected at the same time you're using the tube.

You have to run the Banshee tube up a mic stand, and feed the mic to a separate amp or PA input. I use a dbx Graphic EQ on my mic line, so I can boost the upper mids and avoid the Banshee's fizzy top end. I also like to boost it with an overdrive for more warmth and body.

By the way, DO NOT connect the Banshee's speaker out to a regular guitar amp input! I did this by accident the other day, and it was only a few seconds before I realized my mistake so I did no harm. But, I could have really done some damage to the amp! It did, however, yield the best sound ever from this Banshee, wouldn't you know!?!

3. teefus

thanks, i noticed the fizzy banshee top end too. seems to work o.k. and kind of an attention grabber for the crowd.

4. teefus

any mic better than the others for this unit? i used an akg vocal mic last friday and it really did not pick up well. maybe something more open like an sm57? thanks, craig

5. cvansickle

I use an SM57, with the windscreen attachment. In addition to preventing breath pops, the windscreen helps to absorb excess spit too!

6. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I used to split the signal to the Banshee so I retained the signal from my amp. Made for a very fat tone. The guitar from the stage and the Banshee from the PA. I was Joe Perry with Whitford playing behind me. :dude

7. teefus

great idea. what did you use to split the signal? thanks

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I own the Rocktron Banshee talk box and use the same setup as cvansickle. The windscreen is effective especially to prevent getting shocked from touching your lips on the microphone. I run the "to amp" output to the input on my pedalboard or straight to my amp. The speaker out as mentioned before is a speaker output for the built in 5 watt amp. It allows the player to hook up a guitar cabinet to the Banshee and use it as a small practice amp. I hope you guys know that the driver inside the Banshee talk box is an ElectroVoice driver. Very sturdy piece of equipment!!!

Guitar George

9. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

At the time I was using a VHT Valvulator that had the aux output. I split it right at the start of the signal. I'm sure there's something else out there that will do the same thing.

10. cvansickle

DAMN! I never thought about that! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a Valvulator, and was using the second out for my tuner. I just built myself a special A/B pedal that will allow for silent tuning, so now the Valvulator's second output is available.