Question for Snake Oil String users:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straticus, Sep 27, 2006.

1. straticus

straticus Member

What's the difference between the modern and vintage strings.

I ordered one set of both. I love the vintage on my HB'er loaded tele but not sure about the moderns on my strat. It sounds like I lost a bit of the sparkle I used to get from the strat with DR strings.

Do the vintage Snake Oil strings have more sparkle than the moderns? What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Which DR's were you using?

The Original Nickel formula SOS strings are warmer and the Rock formula are brighter and more aggressive. They both have the same High E, B and G strings. Only the D, A & Low E differ.

I've used them both and enjoy them both. They both have plenty of sparkle to me. They are the best sounding strings I've ever used.

You should email Dean and ask his advice about it. He will steer you in the right direction.

3. usc96

usc96 Member

I added some of the accoustic strings to my last order. Has anyone tried the SOB accoustic strings yet? Thought? :RoCkIn

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have a set SOB Bronze on my Emerald right now. And a set of 60s special alloy to put on later. I liked the SOB Bronze better then the D'addario Phosphor Bronze I had on there before. The sound warmer and sparkley both.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I love the SOS 101 Acoustics!!

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I love the SOB stings, been using vintage on my strats/tele and rock on my LP. They last and last......i'm one of these guys who has a high sweat content in my hands and ruin strings, the SOB's last well.
    Ironically, I did not care much for the acoustic strings. They were toast in a week, completely dead. I had bought 2 sets and the second set did not last more than a few weeks as well, even after cleaning. I put DR's on my acoustic and they have lasted (so far) a month.

7. straticus

straticus Member

Ooops, I lost track of this thread. Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone needed to adjust the neck tension / truss rod after switching to SOS strings even though you stayed with the same gage?

I checked the SOS site and found that the moderns are supposed to have more high end than the vintage. Makes sense to me.

I'm still not sure if I like them on my strat or not although I do seem to be liking them more, the more I play them.

I was using DR Tite-Fit MT10-46 (black box).

8. vinni

vinni Member

Had the DR Titefit 0.10's too before the SOB's....

Did not like the Vintage....

The Rock Formula's are now on my guitars.

Vinni

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I started out using Vintage and am digging the Rock set, although I'm not finding them to last any longer than the D'Addarios I was using before. I don't know how it's designed, but I'm just amazed by the fact that they never sound dull, they sound great from the start all the way to the moment when they snap.