Question for Strat Lovers...Help Me Choose the Right One For Me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by coyoteblue, Dec 15, 2005.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I've recently bought 3 Fenders. A 72 Tele Deluxe Reissue, a Jimmie Vaughan and now I have a Clapton Strat. All three are great feeling guitars, but I've had a problem with each. The Tele sounded great for heavier beats, but was not a very verstale guitar. Also, some of its parts were disturbingly cheap. The JV had a great neck but was unstoppably bright. The Clapton is a great guitar, costs twice as much as the others and it seems worth it...but I it's just too "active", too responsive. It's very flexible. I hardly use the boost but even so I feel like it's pushing me to play harder than I want. I'd like a little mellow too! I'm tired of musical chairs. Any recommendations for what I might be satisfied with? I want a balanced range, a good bottom end, a wider neck and the ability to go mellow as well as overdriven. Am I asking for too much? I will of course go try some more out, but Strat Lovers, any guidance you could give would be appreciated.

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Keep the JV for how well it plays and how the neck feels. Swap the pickups for something good. Sell the rest.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

+1 Given that it's a bright guitar, you should try something a little overwound like Fralin Blues Specials or Seymour Duncan Antiquities; both will fatten the sh*t out of that strat.

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Pickups are definately the answer to getting the sounds you want, however I'd make sure I liked the guitars first before proceeding with modifications.
    There are a lot of things you can do with the Tele, it should be a very versitile instrument, pickups definately, but with a Tele, I find I need to do a little tweaking to my amp/pedals to bring out the best sound, once you find that setting, you will really enjoy that guitar.

Funny recommendation but the RC booster really filled out the sound of my Tele, gave it some great low end fullness without altering the original sound.

Good luck!

RC

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Too active, too responsive, flexible, pushes you to play harder?!! Isn't that exactly what we all want?? My God, man...keep that Clapton! I have one too and agree with all you said. It can go from glassy, moody strat tones, to blow out the windows, with a mere turn of a knob. Great neck and hardware to boot. Trust me...it'll become your 'go-to' guitar. If you sell it you'll miss it. It's the class of the bunch! AC

6. -kk-

-kk- Member

+1, though Im biased :)

try playing around with the vol know, at about 7 or 8 its mellows out quite a bit, and has a diff timbre/ vibe alltogether. to me at least.

kelvin

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

If Clapton can get "Wonderful Tonight" "Crossroads" and "Pretending" out of it, I'd say that about covers the spectrum. Don't cha think?

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Joe Bonamassa rocks hard with them (EC Strat)...

9. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've only had the Clapton for a while and like you say AaeCee, it sounds like the guitar I should want, though I may switch out the pickups. Any suggestions for that? The JV sure is nice too, but it just doesn't feel as substantial as the Clapton. Some people have told me that pickups alone can't give that guitar much bass response, that it's made to be bright, though i know a lot of you love that guitar just like it is.

10. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

The best ever are McInturffs. Any of the 3 pickup models bury a Strat & the Terrycaster is by far the ultimate Tele. The Terrycaster is quite expensive but well worth it. I sold over 10 Fenders & Gibsons when I switched but, still have 4 Strats which mostly sit.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'd do a lot of experimenting before changing pups...you may find that most s/c's respond similarly anyway. Really, try the boost/drive pedal idea. It really pulls in the extremes and focuses the mids. Good luck, AC

12. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I have a '89 Clapton Strat. Actually, the body and PUs are '89. I had a neck problem and they (Fender) told me the only way to fix it was a new neck. So, the neck is like a '01. I love it and would never let this one go!

Joe