Question for Tele gurus

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Powderfinger, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Seems like even when I get a Tele sounding perfect on the rest of the strings, I still can't get rid of the plinky ice-pick sounding E-string. If I eq against it, then the other strings don't sound right. Is this just the nature of the beast? Set up problem? Wrong guitars?

2. Telephile

Telephile Member

Pretty common dilemma with teles. Brass saddles can help a little if you don't have them already.You could also try a pickup with Alnico 5 magnets on the bass side and Alnico 2's on the high E and B.
    I have also found the lower the action the brighter the sound. So if you raise your high E it may shave some of that high end.

3. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

make sure you have enough tilt on your neck also.
    What kind of tele and saddles are you using ?
    60's saddles tend to make this worse.
    What strings are you using ? 10 46 or higher ?

4. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Pot/cap values (actual, not printed) can have an effect on this. The recent craze to make sure everything is overspec'd is not necessarily a good thing. A volume pot reading down around 220k can be just right in some guitars.

5. diego

diego Member

Try lowering the bridge pup... move it away from the string a bit... you might be getting a little magnetic pull on the string.

6. 22Top

22Top Member

I play 10's on mine... and I grab a 'b' string out of one of my other 'raided' sets of strings to use instead of the stock 10. Makes a huuuuuuuuge difference. Also helps finger strength a little. Makes bending on any Gibby a breeze!

-Jarek

7. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

somebody already mentioned these things but I'll mention them again, brass saddles, cap values, and the correct pickups make a huge difference. The biggest difference for me was the pickups. The brass saddles and changing the cap value just enhanced the overall tone a touch more.

I love my Tele.

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

All my pots measure 240...Is this normal? (all CTS)

9. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Normal CTS is 250k with a 20% tolerance. Meaning the actual pots can measure from ~200k up to ~300k.