1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the all the pedalboard guys...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingofrats, May 16, 2011.

1. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

I've been meaning to assemble a pedalboard for the last year but I never get around to it... it seems like I'm constantly switching pedal order, pedal combinations, using them on things other than guitar, etc. depending on what I'm using them for (recording, practice, small gigs, jams, etc.)

so to all of you with pedalboards, do you just use the same exact pedal setup everytime, or are you taking pedals off your board and trying different combinations ? Isn't it too much of a hassle to be constantly taking pedals off the board when they have some strong velcro attached?

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I have four pedalboards.
    1. For single coil guitars. Church stuff. Several drives, mods and verb, delays.
    2. Rock board. Les Paul. Jouster for dirt, wah, verb, delay.
    3. Bass board. Eq, fuzz, sonic stomp.
    4. Harp board. Dirt, eq, verb delay, whammy, wah.

They are cheapo boards but keep me from doing the switcheroos.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It definitely is quite a hassle. Most people in your position however would lay their pedals out in a manner that would resemble what their board to-be would look like, play it through, rearrange if they don't like the order or sounds, and repeat the cycle until they are satisfied with what they are hearing. At that point, they would then apply the velcro and indefinitely place the pedals down.

For most of us who are using pedalboards, it's usually as you described - replacing one pedal for another in the same spot. It's for the reason that we constantly look for new gear that most players would go with a board like Pedaltrain where they can easily replace and rearrange pedals. Some people just build an entirely different setup as a secondary. All in all, it's not that big of a deal to switch pedals in and out. Every now and then you may get another pedal that was larger than the last, which would require you to move some things around.

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I use a Bedroom Board made by D-Rasp here on TGP.

No velcro and it allows me to bring whichever pedals I want to use at a particular gig. He'll make any size you want. :)

[​IMG]

5. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Yep, if that's your concern, get a Bed Room Board.

6. jfromel

jfromel Member

Would love to see that Shag Carpet after a few months of gigging! Great concept but stages involving rock music are often accompanied by cigarettes and sticky beverages (which is why many stages are plywood painted black), after a while I think it would start to smell. Would be perfect for the studio or church setting though.

To the OP, I don't mind switching around my board but I am currently using a PT-Pro so I have a lot of real estate, I am perfectly happy leaving unused pedals unplugged and on the board for a set.

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've gigged that board quite a bit and I've had no trouble. Of course, Oregon is a non smoking state, so we don't have those old club smells to deal with anymore.

No matter what, the carpet pops out so you can wash it or hit it with a steam cleaner, or just put new carpet in if things get bad enough. I think the problems are imagined. :)

8. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i never thought of it as a pain. being the gear-head that i am, i enjoy it like my dad enjoys fixing up cars...

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

the hassle helps temper impulse changes & promotes longevity, for better or worse.

10. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I tweak my board a lot, but I don't have a ton of pedals. But after a few years of tweaking I've figured out some things also, and I feel comfortable with my board now.

11. 66Park

66Park Member

I lived in an apartment with that carpet for six years!

12. Last

Last Member

Lets not forget that aside from physical size there are also MA & Voltage ratings to consider as well.

Especially if you're daisy~chaining any pedals together off a single Power Supply Outlet.

I've had my board set up almost the way I liked it then bought a new pedal to replace another only to have to rearrange just about everything because I was now drawing too much off my chain.

It can be a real head scratcher. Oh & this is just getting everything to work let alone play nice together & enhance each other to their best ability.

Fun stuff! :phones

13. dmw319

dmw319 Member

same here.

also, get an old credit card or ID or something and use it to help scrape inbetween your board and your pedal. makes it come off WAY more easily.

14. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

The longest a real complete pedalboard setup ever lasted me was a couple days.
    I switch stuff around TOO often. Right now I only have 3 pedals! Ack!

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I had a thread with a poll 6 or 8 months ago that talked about how many times I've pulled apart my PT1 and re-org or changed my pedals. You'd be amazed by how many of us are not content with leaving them alone. Last year I pulled apart my board at least six times, this year it's only been two time so far.

I found out I actually like to do it and the velcro is cheap if I need to replace it.

16. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the OP, really lazy to finally set a pedalboard, I have been close to buy it many times but in the end I like to pick the effects for that moment, and I changed a lot of pedals. I don't gig though, and for rehearsals and jams I don't loss that much time setting a bunch of pedals on the floor, definitively less than the drummer and his pedals!

Besides. I like to left a space between pedals, and really was never a fan of a "second row" of effects, good that I only use 5-6 pedals max! I wouldn't be able to play with a perfectly cramped board with everything just together. I think I enjoy the "floor board" more.

17. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Buff is the BEST Clean Boost on the Market. I luvvvvvvvvvvv mine.

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

get yourself into a rehearsal situation and you will be very happy to stop swapping pedals :hiP

once you've got a basic layout of tones you want, using a pedaltrain is very easy to swap things in and out. . . . but i'm done f*cking with gear and busy f*cking with SONGS now. . . .

i keep my fuzz off the board and on the floor, and that is the one spot that i allow regular rotation.

19. Madsen

Madsen Member

i found a similar solution with a foam case i picked up at the goodwill for $2 & an old memory foam pillow.

[​IMG]