1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the Burny/VH-1 guys

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have a mid-80's Burny SG. Two pictures of the guitar are below. I pulled the neck pickup (I'm sure it and the bridge are the same). Two pics below. Note there are no markings on the back of the pup.

What is it?

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I believe they're VH-2 pickups found in some mid/late 80s Burny Guitars. Probably measure around/over 8 ohms. I think they're essentially the same as L8000 pickups found in some Burny Guitars from 82-84, except for possibly a different bobbin color. Pickups in my early 80s Burny SG look just like that...brass bass plate and grey hookup wire.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. wrxplayer

Are the vh-2 pickups the same as the vh-1? The vh-1 seem to be extremely well regarded by many and likely have decent value. What about these?

I ask b/c its on ebay now w/ no bids. If the pups are worth $150 or $200 to someone, I'll pull the guitar off ebay, sell the pickups, and put P90s in it.

Thanks.

4. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I'm not an expert but I have owned a few. I believe the V-1's were lower wind pickups. More in line with the PAF. I think the V-2's are a tad bit hotter thus less desirable..........

5. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I have the same guitar as you and I am curious do you get a little hum, almost like single coil hum when you use one pickup by itself?

6. wrxplayer

No hum.

7. OrangeAD30TC

Well, Mine has VH-1's and they hum slightly...not sure if thats typical or not. My guitar has the little vh1 stickers and they are the lowest output humbuckers I have ever encountered, they are actually really sparkly like an sc but but still the mids of a bucker. Really great pu's. Nice guitar btw, looks just like mine.

8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I have the same SG, but a earlier 80s model. Mine hummed like it had single coils. Took it to a very good tech and the wiring and grounds all checked out. Ended up shielding all the cavities with shielding paint and it got rid of 95% of the hum.

9. OrangeAD30TC

good to know

10. NWOBHM

NWOBHM Member

I'd tend to agree with that, vh2 or L8000. The early 83'-87 VH1's are low output 7.5k usually, zebra bobbins. soft attack, round mids, very open and PAF like. The second version VH1's are from around 88'-mid 90's' and have a tighter bottom and are slightly hotter, above 8k. Usually came with a VH1 sticker on the pickup ring. In the late 90's to present, I've seen them marked gotoh with a big VH1 sticker on the bottom of the pickup. The last version sound alot like a 57' classic to me.