Question for the Ibanez AD-9 users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by danut, Jan 16, 2006.

1. danut

danut Member

I am pretty new to the world of delays, so I borrowed a friend's MIK DD-3 to experiment a bit, before buying anything. Although those 800 ms are very comfortable, I notice some sort of coldness on my tone with this pedal and it seems I'm not the only one under this impression. After reading valuable opinions around here I decided I'd give the analog way a shot. The Ibanez AD-9 has very good reviews with regards both to the sound quality and reliability but what really bothers me is that those 300 ms are not quite enough for some high gain stuff. I read that many people mess with the internal trim pot and get the delay time up to 500 ms, but is there a price to pay in terms of tonal degradation? I mean 500 ms is enough for some high gain stuff on the DD-3 but on the AD-9, aren't the repeats too darkened and dirty? Please fill me in. Thanks.

2. danut

danut Member

Well, no one?

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i use an ibanez ad-9

ive had boss dd3, dm2, dm3 also.

the old early 80s analogs are just gorgeous, the ibanez ad9 is a definite step in that tonal ballpark. i disliked the dentists waiting room sterility of the digital dd3 , in practice i didnt need 800m/s or anything like it, i set the analog to a full sounding 300m/s with short repeat and its all i was ever looking for, the analogs in my opinion are just so more ear friendly and organic in tone, the digitals reproduce more accurately but in my instance, i found the more natural in timbre analogs to be better suited to my needs. i wouldnt worry about "only" 300m/s at all.

4. MrSage

MrSage Member

Get Keeley's mod for the DD-3 and put either an EQ or some kind of modulation in the effects loop (like chorus or vibrato). That'll warm up the delayed notes and get rid of some of the clean digital sound.

5. danut

danut Member

Hmmm...yes, but thats way too expensive: 130 EURO (the stock DD-3) + 60 EURO (shipping to Keeley) + 100 EURO (mod and shipping back) = 290 EURO (about 360 USD)!!! Way friggin' expensive!

6. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Although the longer delays sound cool using the AD9, where it really shines is the shorter delay settings. I like to use it to fatten tone and enhance sustain. If the right balance is found between the sustain provided by the amp and the delay produced by the AD9, the result is impressive. For longer delays I would get something in addition to an AD9.

7. thebot

thebot Member

I got a Keeley modded DD3 before Christmas, actually buying the whole pedal, and all in (including delivery to the UK) it was $234 dollars. If you just buy the whole thing from them it's much cheaper than buying your own first and shipping it to them.

And the mods do produce a much more organic sounding delay. Plus it's great fun sticking pedals into the effects loop, chorus or flange do sound great but also fun sticking a fuzz or something in there for some weird effects.

8. improv4

improv4 Member

9. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

10. pedal4plus

pedal4plus Member

How does the AD9 on longer delay time work with high gain solos with OD pedals, does it take away lot of gain?

11. papersun

papersun Member

I might recommend the MXR Carbon Copy instead. Up to 600ms of analog delay time, not quite as dark as the AD9, and the repeats have optional modulation. I love mine.