Question for the JTV Variax/HD500 users; my ears might be playing tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MKB, May 2, 2016.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Been working with a new JTV69S lately, and have been impressed with everything about it. Lately I've been using a Kemper and loving its tones, but the lure of the "dream rig" made me pull the HD500 out of mothballs and give it another try. It's a cool setup, but something has puzzled me greatly.

I swear that the HD500 sounds significantly better with the JTV in some aspects than with my normal guitars (mostly Gibsons, all good stuff) into the HD500. Or maybe the JTV sounds better in the HD500 than in the Kemper. The mids are more articulate, and not as harsh in the highs. Where before I grew to be very disappointed with the HD500 tone (prior to the JTV), I did a few practices and a gig with the JTV/HD500 and actually quite liked it.

Maybe I'm listening with "new ears" or some other mind trick. Anyway, has anyone else noticed this?

2. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Are you using the variax cable with the hd500? If so, it cuts out a level digital conversion so you might prefer that sound.

3. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Yes, am using a homemade VDI cable (actually a non shielded CAT6 ethernet cable with Neutrik ends). But I need to try comparing the tones of an identical patch but using either the VDI or 1/4" guitar input.

Using the VDI does eliminate a DAC/ADC conversion step with the Variax. The DAC in the Variax may have a tonal signature that is placed on all the models when using the 1/4" analog output. And wouldn't it be a hoot if the ADC in the HD input has a tonal signature as well that it places on all passive guitars used with it, and that signature is not introduced when using the VDI?

I'd love to buy Digital Igloo a couple of beers and discuss stuff like this.

4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

@Digital Igloo does know about this and could explain it better than me.