Question for 'The Small Company Luthiers'

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Dana, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Dana

Dana Guest

Just curious, no one is required to answer.....

....but

If you could use the F company's shapes, would you?

Many companies did; Tokai, Burny, Lentz, Ibanez, etc....

After threats of lawsuit many had to change to remain in business. Many have come up with very creative alternatives to the 'S' and 'T' shapes. Cudos to that.

But...

If you could have simply kept using the 'F' company shapes, would you have continued to do so? Why?

2. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

I don't and would not use them regardless of legality. I just don't care for them.

...and what's with all this F, S, T talk? Can't we say Fender?

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

SHHHH! Are you trying to get us all killed?!

4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

No killing anymore, you just get kneecapped with the "Cease and Desist" paperwork...:D

5. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Is the issue body shape, or headstock shape? Isn't it the headstock that gets people in trouble and not the body? Just asking.

6. Dana

Dana Guest

I'm just asking the question. It can be either the headstock or the body shape.

As for using 'S' and 'T', there are a few compaies that use that term in order to avoid problems with Fender. If you want to say Tele, Strat, Fender, be my guest.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I see no up side to a small luthier "confessing" on TGP, "I'd rather be copying Fender."

8. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Wow, I never thought of that! Those guitars really DO look sort of like Fenders! And all this time I thought Fender had ripped off everyone else!

OK guys, chill out before before I get a barrage of "Bigsby" replies...

9. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

It is the best thing that has ever happened to us in the long run. I personally wouldn't want to go back except for nostalgic reasons and it hasn't been nearly long enough yet. Maybe some day Scott will want to re-introduce the S style at $5000 with a 30 month wait and make it uber exclusive. :rotflmao

Regarding the S and T we originally built those guitars because Scott felt he had something better to add to them rather than a clone of something from the past. The guitars we are building now use some design influences that remind you of the classics but take them in a fresh direction. And those are just the start of the eventual line up.

Those that can move on will, and should. Those that can't will probably make relics or find some other niche to exploit.