Question for the Tele guys...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, May 15, 2011.

1. SFW

SFW Member

For those of you using a mini humbucker or full size PAF style humbucker in the neck position, what volume and tone pot values are you using? I would assume that the 250k would make the neck pickup too dark... or am I wrong?

And if you are using a 500k pot, is your tele bridge pup overly bright?

Thanks! Joel

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

DiMarzio Pre-B1 bridge pickup, Gibson Firebird neck. Volume pot @ 500K, tone pot @ 250K, capacitor @ 0.022uF. Zero icepick. Roll the Tone back accordingly.

3. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Fender seens to use 375k pots.

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

I have a Seth Lover in the neck of my Tele and a Don Mare 0038 Broadcaster type in the bridge, and I tried all kinds of pot loading schemes--250Ks, 500Ks, 500K volume, 250K tone, 375Ks, etc...I was never satisifed with any combination. Either the neck pickup was way too dark or the bridge pickup was icy pick city. In the end I settled on concentric pots so I could load the humbucker at 500/500, the bridge at 250/250, and wire them for separate volume control so I could better match the volumes from the two pickups. That's the only solution that fully satisfied me.

These pots: http://www.allparts.com/CTS-250K-and-500K-Concentric-Pot-p/EP-4585-000.htm?click=19167

These knobs: http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-Concentric-Knob-p/mk-0137-010.htm

72 custom type wiring.

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have one with a Keeso bridge single coil and a Tim Shaw in the neck. I'm using 300k volume and tone w/.033uF PIO cap. It's a beautiful sounding guitar.

6. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

This is the best way for tone. IF you want to use the standard, then the best ou can hope for is to use 500K pots, .022 cap, and then use a 470K resistor from the hot lug at switch for the bridge pickup, then ground the other end. This will allow the neck and middle to be what it should, and then tricks the bridge into seeing 250K roughly. The bridge will loose a bit of color but most do not hear it. Singles and humbuckers are almost like cats and dogs, they do not live together well. Now, a firebird in the neck is a total different story...pure heaven!

7. SFW

SFW Member

Chris, with the mini, do you still use the 500k? Thanks for the help!

8. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

Exactly

Yes, I would recommend a Firebird instead of a Mini, sweeter with a little extra clarity.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

500k vol and tone pots, .022 uf, and a 470k resistor to the bridge pickup.

oh yeah, push-pull pot to split the humbucker =)

10. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

I went with concentric 250/500 for separate volume controls. I use a 250 tone pot on the bridge position only. No tone for the neck pickup.(not needed)
    S Mac

11. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I have a Seymour Duncan Little 59 in the bridge of my MIM Tele. I left all the pots etc. stock and put in a SD Jazz in the neck. It wasn't muddy, just a little loss of clarity. I took out the Jazz and replaced it with the SD vintage mini-hum (SM-1) and not it sounds good to my ears...it's sweet, but still clear and articulate.