Question for the Turbo Tuner users (pedal version)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Charles#5, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Does the display only light up when the tuner is engaged, or are the LED's visible and moving all the time, even when you're not tuning?

Cheers,
    Johan

2. e-z

e-z Member

Only when engaged. If you want it to be on all the time you probably have to have it in its own parallel loop which would always be on.

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

That's good. I had the original turbo tuner on my board for a while (with an A/B box), but the display reacted to the sound even when the tuner was out of the loop and that drove me crazy. I have since relegated the turbo tuner to the bench and use Pitchblack on my board. If the pedal TT doesn't have that problem I might get one...

Cheers,
    Johan

4. morg

morg Member

Mine does exactly what you're talking about. I have mine in a TB loop and it will still react slightly to my playing, even though it's in the loop. It's not as bright as when that loop is activated, but there's still movement.

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

[​IMG]

when my ST-200 arrives, Im going to get a used one of these . Channel A to the head and Channel B to the ST-200

6. e-z

e-z Member

Does that allow both A and B to be selected at the same time? If not then why not just use the TT by itself? It mutes the output signal when engaged.

7. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

good question, anybody know if its got a+b functionality ?

8. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

If you're talking about the pedal version, it looks like they didn't fix it. I think I'm sticking to my Pitchblack for gigs.

Cheers,
    Johan

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the pedal version is completely off when bypassed. it's literally switched off, not just out of the chain.

that bleed-through is from poorly designed a-b boxes that don't short the unused output to ground when switched (i think fulltone talks about this). the fact that the earlier TT tries to display the bleed-through it's getting is more a testament to how sensitive it is than anything else.

that boss a-b thing is some kind of weird non-true bypass active switcher (open it up, it's full of circuitry) and i've found them to interfere with passive signals. you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by trading the absolute bypass on the st-200 itself for that thing.

10. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Just to be sure: if the ST-200 is used on its own the display is completely dark when you're playing and only lights up when you're tuning?

Cheers,
    Johan

11. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

walter

are you saying the only way of carrying out what i was proposing is with a lehle or tonebone a+b switcher then ?

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i think you guys are giving this thing too much thought.

A good friend of mine which is an incredible player and did teach in one of the top musical schools of the nation told me something that is true,
    "it might be BS (talking about the differences in pitch with the good tuners) cause string are always moving".
    "If you need a tuner for a board, the tu2-pitchblack-turbotuner , all of them will be good".
    "There will be no advantage with them for that unless you want them to setup a guitar".

And please don't say again that "i used to tune my guitar with my pitchblack but then i had to retune by ear to make it sound good" that is BS, unless you have "perfect pitch" and even if you do, the guys that have perfect pitch don't really react to the notes because the listen to them, but just because they Feel them.
    Ask guys with perfect pitch, they will tell you that.

So yes, the Turbo tuner is great, so are the pitchblack, the Boss tu, etc.

The only reason i see myself buying a TT is because it would be more practical in the board, less space , etc or if i am going to Set up a guitar, which i never do anyway, i go pay a good tech.

Now, if it tracks fast, takes less space , it doesn't mess with my signal and looks cool, then i will get one.
    But to play live, there will be no real difference between this one and the Korg Pitchblack, for example.

13. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

That is simply not true. What if I need pre-programmed temperments or open tunings,etc? A boss, for example, does not provide those features.

Your friend has an opinion, that doesn't make it gospel. I teach guitar at a university, and my experience differs. Just because someone has a good resume doesn't mean he/she is right about everything, and for everyone.

14. macmax77

I am only talking about the tunning capabilities live.
    Your Opinion doesn't make it Gospel either.
    In my own experience, for live use, the Korg and the TT will be fine, but don't say that you can listen to the "big" difference between them, now, if i want to set up a guitar, i will definitely get the TT, but for live use Both are great.

There are many factors when playing live and the .02 cents is something that won't be the difference.

20 years ago, 40 years ago guitar players didn't have these pedals, yet they manage to get great sounds and played maybe even better than what some people do today.

As i said, if it doesn't mess with my tone, is small enough and tunes the guitar, i might get one, on the other hand , i could get a Pitchblack too if what i need it to is for live playing.

In this part:

" What if I need pre-programmed temperments or open tunings"
    You are completely right!

15. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

No Bryan. What He's saying is you seem to insist on using it in a way that negates the advantage of the true bypass feature. Even if you use no pedals other than the st-200 your tone will be preserved and the tuner will only react when switched on.

Are you in fact looking for a A/B/Y to constantly monitor your pitch while playing? If so, a simple true bypass A/B/Y would be your solution.

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Of course my opinion isn't gospel, that was my point!

I don't think any tuner will make or break good music, but technology can make my job easier and more consistent. 40 years ago people played some great music, but a whole lot of live recordings from the 60's have some pretty out of tune guitars as well! It would have been nice if they were in tune. Woodstock soundtrack, for example.

17. macmax77

Myabe that is what made them special! :D

18. walterw

are you just trying to get silent tuning plus absolute true bypass? that's exactly what the TT pedal is made to do. when it's off, it's completely shut down, becoming an empty metal box with in and out jacks. dead. expired. gone to meet it's maker. (i feel like john cleese!)
    [​IMG]

this is a little trickier. an A/B/Y box in the "Y" setting will load the signal, as it just puts the tuner's input in parallel with the signal path.

what you need is a buffered stereo output pedal and an A/B box. the 1st output of the buffered pedal goes in line with everything else and on to the amp, and the 2nd or "dry" output goes only to the tuner. now the tuner will track everything while not being in the signal path at all. (this is actually how i run mine, using a micro-pog at the front of my chain.)

next, put the A/B box in line after the buffered pedal, with one output going to everything else and on to the amp, and the other output going to nothing. now the A/B box just mutes the sound.

with this setup, the tuner always reads the signal, whether you've muted the sound with the A/B box or not.

(edit) some companies make active buffered A/B/Y boxes. one of those would fit the bill.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  19. walterw

sorry, not quite true. once you're used to real analog strobe tuning, regular "count, average, then display a ballpark reading a few milliseconds later" digital tuners just feel slow and "opaque". i can tune faster with the strobe, because it responds directly to what the string is doing.

sure, if i take longer, i can tune "perfectly", which might be pointless while people are passing up jager shots to the stage and yelling "freebird" like they've never heard anyone do that before, but in real world usage the strobe lets me get the guitar "good enough for the next song" faster than a digital tuner will.

not to say the pitchblack isn't cool, and well thought out. it's more accurate than the +/- 3 cent tu-2, and true bypass. but the st-200 is way more accurate than either one, and faster to boot.

regular digital tuners are "good enough", but so are a mexican strat and a peavy bandit.

20. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

walter

answer me this one please. your insight has been most valuable so far.

i really dig what the petersons do, but one irk that ive mentioned before is , i can fret a note at the 12th fret and hold it rock steady with my fretting hand . i then sound the note using the side of my thumb. ive gotten readings like slightly flat, then ive not moved a muscle nor changed fretting pressure, sounded same note with my thumb with same force as before and gotten a reading of slightly sharp.

ive read lots and lots of users making the same comment about the petersons and giving off hell about not knowing whether their string is sharp or flat . what is the chance of this scenario with the ST-200 walter ?

tell you the truth, some tgp member posted here about using the online and free , accurate to 1 cent, AP tuner . so i loaded the program and its just superb. no wavering readings and telling you its sharp one second and then flat the next. i intonated my guitar to absolute perfection using it.

i spend considerable money on the deluxe version of the strobosoft so as i could use its intonation tool, it works just fine, but the AP tuner does exactly the same job and its free !!!!!!