• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Question for those in the know about Strymon Volante...

jrockbridge

I know the Volante has 4 simulated heads and they can be panned in the stereo field. Essentially, the heads are spaced apart. My question is this, can the Volante be adjusted with two heads in a stereo image with very little time spacing between the heads? To clarify, I’m wanting to know if two heads can be adjusted with only a slight time space between them and panned left and right for a stereo image? Also, could it be setup to keep the slight spacing between the heads and the stereo L/R pan while ONLY changing the overall delay time with tap tempo?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

phil_m

How did this get here? I'm not good at computer.
Gold Supporting Member
If you only use the first two heads and had them panned how you wanted, I'm sure you could get a pretty short time between with a short delay time. You could tweak the timing using the Spacing knob. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking in the second part of your question. If tap a new tempo in, the timing between the two heads will change also. How much it changes depends on the tempo you tap in and where you have the Spacing knob.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Gold Supporting Member
I think I'm getting pretty close to what you're asking using heads 3 and 4 with the silver ratio spacing.

jrockbridge

Cool guys. Thanks.

I have learned that I like dual tape delay sims panned left and right with only a slight difference in delay time. But, I’ve been using two stomps to accomplish it. It would be great if I could have the Volante to accomplish this in one stomp and one tap tempo switch to set delay times. I would probably use the Volante in other ways too but my stereo spread, dual delay scenario is the main thing I’d use it for.

Boba7

Cool guys. Thanks.

I have learned that I like dual tape delay sims panned left and right with only a slight difference in delay time. But, I’ve been using two stomps to accomplish it. It would be great if I could have the Volante to accomplish this in one stomp and one tap tempo switch to set delay times. I would probably use the Volante in other ways too but my stereo spread, dual delay scenario is the main thing I’d use it for.
I’ve been doing this with a Nemesis for a while now. You can set the ratio between the two heads, I usually chose something very close to 1, so the two heads are only slighty apart. It works really well for double tracking, slapback, but also longer delay times.
Not trying to sell you the Nemesis, though I love mine, but the Volante looks quite amazing too! :)

jrockbridge

I’ve been doing this with a Nemesis for a while now. You can set the ratio between the two heads, I usually chose something very close to 1, so the two heads are only slighty apart. It works really well for double tracking, slapback, but also longer delay times.
Not trying to sell you the Nemesis, though I love mine, but the Volante looks quite amazing too! :)
I know plenty of pedals will do dual delays. In fact, I own a few multi-fx that will do it. But, I was planning to sell a few things to get a Volante to experience the 4 head, drum delay, tape, etc. Then, I thought, what if it does NOT allow dual delay the way I prefer? If not, it could be a big waste of money. But, sometimes you have to spend money and risk some loss in flipping the gear to find out.

I don’t typically cycle through a lot of gear. This will be the most I’ve spent on a delay. But, I do like the clips I’ve heard. Sometimes, asking questions helps prevent a purchase that would be the wrong fit.

I have not tried a Nemesis but I do like some of the clips I’ve heard. I like the size. I’m not sure how I’d like the app or the front interface but many people seem to get good sounds with it.

ry-guy

If i understand what you are saying, you cannot set the time of each head individually to the other one. Each head is set as a tempo pattern from the time/tempo of the 4th head. Something like the dig with it’s free sync mode might be more what you are after.(or any big box multi delay prob).

I think the closest you would get is the golden or silver ratio spacing on the spacing knob, since the echoes start more to overlap.

jrockbridge

If i understand what you are saying, you cannot set the time of each head individually to the other one. Each head is set as a tempo pattern from the time/tempo of the 4th head. Something like the dig with it’s free sync mode might be more what you are after.(or any big box multi delay prob).

I think the closest you would get is the golden or silver ratio spacing on the spacing knob, since the echoes start more to overlap.
That makes sense. After all, Volante is a 4 head tape/drum delay sim, not a dual delay. One head feeds into the next.

The answer to my question = No. Volante cannot do dual delay. It can do two heads (delay into delay) with a relatively close head spacing which is a different thing.

After viewing some demo vids, I agree that the Strymon Dig is designed for dual delay. But, it’s not my preference for sound.

The Nemisis might be capable of doing my dual delay preference. But, perhaps I’d have to use a different engine other than tape.

I’m starting to lose some of my GAS for a Volante. I’m sure it’s a great unit. The control interface seems to be brilliant. I’m just not sure how much I would use it beyond single head mode.

Last edited:

jrockbridge

I’ve watched many Volante videos including TPS episode featuring it (twice). The Volante is a cool delay. However, I don’t think I’d use it much for what I play.

Volante GAS disintegrating for me.

Trending Topics