Question for those using Clapton Mid-Boost system....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MBreinin, Oct 9, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

If you are using one of these systems, what types of pickups are you running it with? Does anyone know what pickups this system gets along well with? I recently got a guitar with this and a set of Fender Modern Classics. Not sure how much I like the PUs and was wondering what others were using.

Mike

2. DonM

DonM Member

clapton still prefers the L-ace's over anything else.. - his Custom Shops sport Golds.

that boost was designed using those so changing the pups and not altering the boost to mate up with the new pups seems to only prove less then the original design as a whole.

in the long run I've seen the majority pull the boost pop in Vintage Reissue pups and use a floor pedal when boosting is needed.. this expands the clean tone... as is the clean tones do suffer in that guitar - when side by side to real Fenders of Vintage age.... seems the boost never shuts off even when rolled back at the knob.. so its always distorting to a degree.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A buddy of mine -- a really fabulous player -- has them in all of his Fenders, and they all sound like ****, IMO.

4. rongtr

rongtr Member

I have a midboost in my Clapton strat w/lace sensor pickups, and it doesn't "sound like ****" if you use it sparingly. I usually just use it on the rear pickup if I'm using overdrive and want to fatten it up a bit and get a humbucker sound. The preamp is on all the time (even with the midboost control down all the way) and that gives the guitar more output than most strats, which I like. The TBX control can work in tandem with the midboost to put in some of the highs you lose with the midboost. I've used this for over 15 years, and I can get a wide range of sounds out of this guitar.

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

The midboost works best with noiseless pickups of some type. I prefer the lace sensors over the Fender Noiseless, but I have a friend who has swapped in Kinman's to his Clapton and it sounds great.

6. MBreinin

Hmmm, mine may be the TBX system now that I think of it. It came this way. It is not a Clapton Strat, just a strat with this added.

Mike

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have the same circuit in that came in a Powerhouse Strat that uses ordinary Am Std strat pups but with a dummy coil. Works well, but changing to other pups induces added noise as they don't match the dummy coil as well. Nevertheless, I installed a Lace Hot Gold as a bridge pup and it works well, the noise is still low.

The boost is perfectly clean, imo, but will drive an amp into distortion full on.
    Try any low noise pups. It's a handy feature but not a necessity, for me.

8. MBreinin

Well, on mine it sounds very bright without the boost turned up. I haven't really investigated clean stuff that much, I mostly rock out with a good amount of gain. I fin that I use the boost quite a bit to dial in that sweet spot where you have the clarity of a single, and the fatness of a humbucker. It is cool, but it does make noise with these pickups.

Mike

9. MBreinin

Anyone else?

Mike

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That may well be the ticket...

11. geodr

geodr Member

I only use the mid-boost up to 2 or 3 - past that it gets way too muddy - but at 0 its pretty darn clean. I find the TBX more useful and it usually sits at -1 (rolling off some highs). I like the noiseless Lace Golds fine, but wonder what diff pups would sound like - any recs? The best part of the guitar is the neck - love the soft V.

12. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    When I had my Clapton Strat I put a set of the Dimarzio Area's in (58 neck/mid61 bridge) and it sounded nicer to me than the Fender Vintage Noiseless that came with. Then, I pulled those out and put in a set of Duncan SS1 true single coils, and a Suhr Silent Backplate on the guitar - it works great. All the boost happens after the pickup output so you are not trying to quiet the boosted signal. I found the that the Duncan single coils sound pretty good, way better than any of the stacked ones anyway - I didnt want to spend a ton on that expierement because I didnt know if it would work - but it did. If you wanted to you could use any set of true single coils from the maker of your choice, as long as the middle was not RWRP and the output did not exceed 8 ohms (Suhr Backplate specs). I have since moved on to a Suhr Classic with the SSC built in and I use a Demeter Mid-boost pedal on my board.

13. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I have Bill Lawrence L 280's in my EC Strat. They sound just fine and work well with the boost. It came with the gold sensors. The sensors sounded ok but were still a bit noisy especially when using the boost. The Mr. Bill pickups are dead quiet. The seem to have a more even response with a nice full midrange. I would not consider them to be vintage sounding. The guitar still sounds like a Strat but there's wider range of tones available. Lawrence also makes the L 200's which are supposed to sound more vintage. I have not heard them.
    Overall I'm very happy with the L 280's. It's a bit of a departure from the stock Strat sound but I like it. As mentioned previously the key to using the boost is to not over do it. I generally never use it past about 3. It's a 25db boost full on. They probably could have cut that in half and it would still be plenty.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The Powerhouse Strat does have about half the gain (12db I think) and it is enough.

15. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Lace + Fuzz Face = :bkw