Question for those who don't like PRS guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nosajwp, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Why exactly don't you like them? I know there are some here who have expressed a dislike for PRS, and I am curious as to their reasoning.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I don't dislike them but my strats work better and I really bond with them.

Funny how lately all these questions asking why not liking PRS.

This place actually originated as a PRS forum with bunch of PRS enthusiasts, myself included.

Just an observation.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I have owned several PRS guitars. I think their design is excellent, their quality from guitar to guitar is very consistent.

I think they are for electric guitars what Taylor is for acoustics - consistently well made and well designed production instruments that are generally priced fairly.

My only problem with them is that they don't do the Gibson or the Fender thing - they do their own thing. For folks like me who are used to more traditional sounding guitars, it's a love/hate relationship.

I love PRS guitars, but I never miss them when I sell them. I just don't have the same connection that I have with other guitars.

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

There are a number of reasons that I've heard-

They're not a Gibson, Fender, etc....
    They don't sound like a Gibson, Fender, etc...
    They're too fancy looking

These are probably the big 3 reasons. I don't currently own any PRS guitars, but I have owned 3 in the past, and all of them were fantastic instruments in every respect.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

I just don't think they're very cool.

To me, they don't look cool and they don't sound cool. It's about as simple as that.

In other words, "personal taste."

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Ergonomics when seated (I think the body is too small), location of the volume control on the solid body guitars, feel of the pots, rotary pickup selector on some models, the headstock shape.

Overlooking those issues, I've owned a few over the years, but none have been 'keepers.' I might own one again someday - the Grissom model looks particularly interesting.

Bryan

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

nothing plays like a parker.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've owned several, and have enjoyed them all. The McSoapy is an incredible value, IMO, surpassed only by an Indian Rosewood McSoapy.

However, my heart belongs to my '53 ES-175, so alas, I am PRS-less... ;)

9. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

+1
    That sums it up for me as well.

10. amc

amc Member

I love playing PRS guitars
    I don't love most PRS pickups

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I want to like them, but I just can't do it. I've been in the market a couple of times and have played many in the stores, but none of them sounded good to me. Please realize that's a personal taste thing and I'm NOT slamming them. I do think they're great quality and all that stuff, but I cannot get the tone I want out of them.

I found a mint singlecut in GC once when I was ready to buy a high dollar guitar. I played it for a long while and just couldn't get into the tone. I then picked up an R8 Les Paul and bam, instant tonal satisfaction!

12. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I don't like the neck profile or the 25" scale. The bass side horn is too long. The headstock is too small and narrow. I hate flame maple. I don't like wrap-around bridges. I don't like birds or moons. Once again, just my personal taste.

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I think the McCarty Wide-Fat neck profile is wonderful. The scale to me is perfect.

I did like the McCarty humbuckers, but did not really like the P90s that Duncan wound for the soapbars, but that's an easy swap...

14. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

For years, they didn't make lefties, so I bonded with my Les Paul. When I finally did play a few lefties a few years ago, they did nothing for me. Just didn't feel or sound right. And I think a rotary switch for accessing different pickups combos is ridiculous.

15. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

To be nice, i will say they are pretty...but...they are well... pretty...

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I tried many times to "get" them. They look so cool. I love the sleek shape and design. The ideo of having a cool trem'd mahogany guitar with great consistent quality sounds perfect... But they just don't have the sounds I like everytime I try one or hear someone else play them, The tone never kills. Whether Gibson, Fender or some superstrat type stuff. PRS doesn't really do a certain thing or have a signature as well as all the other biggies. Some say it has it's own thing, but to me it's sort've an approximation of the others, and I don't want that. But maybe that is the signature.

17. amc

amc Member

PRS has a substantial number of different guitars in their line.
    A Swamp Ash Special is an entirely different instrument than the original 24 fret instruments that came fitted with HOT pickups.
    Unfortunately, many players only experienced the HFS pickup's harsh distortion compared
    with the sweet PAF tone that they were accustomed to with vintage Gibsons.

Pickups can be easily swapped to alter the sound and feel of PRS guitars.
    WCR, Lollar, Fralin, etc... make a world of difference in these guitars.
    The RP pickups in the Modern Eagle are excellent and the original McCarty pickups
    sound good to my ear.

The guitar sounds that Paul Smith has in his head are much harder edged than
    what I strive for.

I still always have a PRS with me at every gig.
    My Modern Eagle is as fine an instrument as any instrument I own, and I have
    some of the best.
    (

18. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I can't stand the neck shape more than anything. I have never played one that had a neck I could picture myself playing for more than 15 minutes.

And at that price point, to me, it has to be perfect *for me*.

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

At one time I had four PRSs, over time I was down to one. Since then I've been through 4 Tom Andersons (still have one), 2 Bakers (both gone), 3 Suhrs (still have 2), a good Les Paul, and a Gretsch, but now the only guitar I play (well, 80+% of the time) is the PRS McCarty Trem I picked up about a year ago. Everything about this guitar is right for me (at least at this point in time) -- the neck, the overall feel, the tones. My next favorite is my PRS Hollowbody that I bought in 1999.

3 or 4 years ago, I never thought I would be a PRS guy again. But I guess I am. FWIW.

20. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Because "only a Gibson is good enough..."

:NUTS

I keed, I keed...

I lust for the Hiland and 513 models.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.