Question for those who mix speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TheGuildedAge, Sep 10, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I've got a Marshall 4x12 with four G12H30s. I love the speakers. However, I have two Custom Zinky's made my eminence, these are 75 watt speakers that sound really good.

I know I can just toss two of them in my cab, but is there any way to guess how they'd sound before going to the trouble.

First off, do you do an X pattern, or put the bassier ones on bottom? Secondly, are there any frequences are tonal characterists that can be predicted. For example, my G12H30s are crunchy, warm, and kind of thin in the cab, so would he thicker, bassier emis even this out?

Any thoughts, or do I just need to take the plunge.

Bryan

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I use G12H-30's and V-30's in an X pattern .Mixes well.I Also use beam blockers to reduce ,well,beaming. Im not totally satisfied with this combo. I too think the G12H-30's sound kind of thin. been trying to figure out what speakers I can try to mix with either them or the V-30's for thicker tone. Kind of wondering if Emi v-12's might be the ticket.......

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

My G12H30s sound thin too, in both my cabs.

Bryan

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I thought G12H30's were considered by the majority as a great, rich and full speaker.
    Is there something I should know about the down side to the G12H30?
    Peace,
    Mass

5. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

when you mix speakers....which one do you mic?

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sounds like you already have. I would not consider it a "great, rich and full" speaker. Its close but not really that warm.It also suffers from pretty ice picky highs at volume. Both these things subside a bit with break in but its still not where I want to be. I can imagine it becoming better with old age. Supposedly the Scumback is everything the G12 isnt....

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thick, rich, and full. a tone tubby hempcone with a lot of power going through it. cant get thicker than that from what i have seen. i have a ceramic and alnico version. both are great.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+1 good description. Don't know about the Scumbag but a Wizard is also designed to sound like the Celestion. It also has a lot of treble and lows, The mids sound a little recessed. While it's a good speaker I would not want a cabinet with only these speakers in it.

9. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

IMO, the G12H30 has some glassy highs but IME they are subdued when you crank through the speaker. It gets a more woody tone when cranked IMO/E. I have 2 G12H30 Anniversary and 2 Wizards in a Mojo cab and I like it (worth mentioning is that I have the wheat colored BW type cloth that supposedly sucks some high end).

I haven't tried the Scumbacks...mainly because they are made by Weber and I wasn't crazy about the Weber C1230 with either cone (75Hz or 55Hz).

But like most of this guitar stuff, you just don't know until you try it with your rig. Different amps, different guitars, different target tones, different cabs...it's good to have choices.:)

Also, when people say 'thick' I interpret that as 'thick mids' and not so much as bottom end. So some might say a Greenback type sounds thicker than a G12H due to the mids even though the G12H has more bass.