• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question for those with a tuner on their board.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
I don't gig, and am really just a couch hack. I've never owned a tuner pedal before and in recent years I've come to love my clip on tuners. I'm wondering why so many people still have a tuner on their pedal board? Are clip ons not reliable in a gig setting? I'm just curious because it seems like people are always removing something they love from their board but the tuner is always there. Thanks!

GtarLover

Silver Supporting Member
The quick answer for me is they aren't particularly attractive on the top of my guitar and if I swing my axe around or wanna move, which I do, then it will most likely go flying into the audience, LOL.

No reason in terms of accuracy, if that's your question. Yet also there is a mute option on most pedal tuners, which is a VERY useful thing for stage use.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Clip on tuners respond to vibrations, so in a very loud environment they tend to pick up everything from drums being beat to house music that's playing before or between sets.

i use a clip on for quiet gigs (where I usually don't have my pedal board anyway), and have a pedal for noisier ones. Since you're playing at home a clip on is sufficient. I've found the Snark SN-8 clip on to be very reliable and very accurate.

Jason_77

I wouldn't trust a clip-on at a gig. Plus, I can't explain it but something about leaving it clipped on looks goofy to me. The TU-2 on my board is reliable, easy to see, out of the way, acts as a mute button and also a buffer at the end of the line for the long cable run to my amp.

Raymond Lin

Clip on works on vibration.
I am forever looking for mine.
The battery runs out on them. (Where my board is always plugged in)
They "risk" damage the finish on the headstock.

I use clip on at home, on the sofa (acoustic) but electric is always the board.m just more convenient too.

RockDebris

Advantages: Mute switch. Power line. Multiple guitars. Possibly greater visibility on a dark stage (whenever you have the chance to tune, that's when the stage goes dark a lot of the time)

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
Great responses folks! I knew nothing about the mute function. Makes a lot of sense. As for the clip on looking ugly, I have the planet waves one which clips on by the nut and is pretty well concealed behind the headstock. Works well too.

Raymond Lin

Great responses folks! I knew nothing about the mute function. Makes a lot of sense. As for the clip on looking ugly, I have the planet waves one which clips on by the nut and is pretty well concealed behind the headstock. Works well too.
It depends how your board is set up, if you have it in a linear chain then yes, the Tuner acts as a mute switch. I have mine on the tuner out on looper so mine doesn't do that, it is actually just constantly on.

Clip on v pedal

v

stinkfoot

For me, a clip-on tuner would be another thing to transfer from guitar to guitar (often getting lost or forgotten - also known as the "oh, it's in another guitar case at home" effect). I often gig with more than one guitar, switching between them for different songs, and having a tuner on the board lets me use it for all of them. It also doubles as a mute for guitar changes, although I've recently switched to Neutrik "Silent" plugs at the guitar end, which means I don't actually have to use the tuner's mute to do a quick guitar change. Still, most times I switch, I like having the tuner activated anyway, so I can do a quick check before the next song.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
My Turbo tuner is on two different boards that I use:
One is my small board, where the tuner acts like a mute.
On my larger board, its connected to the "tuner Output" from my Dunlop Volume Pedal.
I use a Snark Clip on tuner for my acoustics only.

Multicellular

Clip on tuners respond to vibrations, so in a very loud environment they tend to pick up everything from drums being beat to house music that's playing before or between sets.

i use a clip on for quiet gigs (where I usually don't have my pedal board anyway), and have a pedal for noisier ones. Since you're playing at home a clip on is sufficient. I've found the Snark SN-8 clip on to be very reliable and very accurate.
This. Also, I use one in my Zoom CDR so its not like it is taking up extra space.

chrisjw5

My Pitchblack is easy to see, has a mute feature and it doesn't look goofy. Clip-ons look, to me, like putting those aftermarket plastic parts on your car. It's never a good look.

josh_michael

I used to use clip on tuners (still use em at home), but then I was playing out and forgot it....then I bought a pedal tuner. For me it's just that I always know that it will be there is the biggest thing. Also it's handy that it mutes your signal. It doesn't take anything real fancy, I got the Korg pitch black and I have never felt a need to get anything more expensive.

Trending Topics