1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Question for tube tester gurus

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tonedaddy, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
  2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Suppose I ought to shine up one of my spare 533's. Gotta' be worth six grand on that scale.

3. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

If that's not a mistake, I'll sell you mine for $12,500 and free shipping!

-Tony

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

:D

That's what I was thinking, but it would have taken the 2 highest bidders, both screwing up their bids.

As in both of them
    $13,433.33
    $13,333.33

entering in those bids instead of $1333.33 and maybe $1450.

In addition, the seller's already left the buyer this feedback:
    "Fast payment and good communication. An excellent ebayer. A+"

I was just so stunned by the price I figured I was missing something in the auction listing. But I still can't figure it out!

5. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

I looked at all of that and I'can't understand it. If I wouldn't get in trouble with eBay I'd email the second highest bidder and offer him mine for $12k or so.

-Tony

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

Check this out!!

Here's a great example of the insanity that can drive Ebay prices, and how silly things can get!!

My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to contact the seller last night, and ask him what the deal was. Here was his reply:

"You're not the only one to ask that question.

"There is nothing special about my tester other than that it was in very good condition. The 2 high bids were both errors by the bidders- the actual selling price was $1,300, not $13,000.

"I notice that there's another one on ebay that's currently at $1800. In my opinon, that's too high. The high bidder, **********, only bid $950 for mine, so I can't help but think that he's being influenced by my apparent selling price."
    :eek: :D

And here's that new auction, and check out the bids (no mistakes here, now) of buyers/speculators who've pushed the price of this one over $2k trying to jump in on the 539C craze!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HICKOK-MODEL-539C-TRANSCONDUCTANCE-TUBE-TESTER_W0QQitemZ7548215425
    [edit: link fixed]

How many of those bidders do you think know the $13+k final price of last week's was a mistake, and the real buyer never paid that much?

If you own a 539-C, you may want to sell it high while you can!
    ;)

7. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

This stuff isn't confined to Hickok testers of course. A fairly regular topic of discussion around here is the comparison of an amplifier's (or other piece of gear's) intrinsic value vs. its speculative value. I call the difference between the two "the beanie baby factor".

8. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

Well said, and I think you've nailed it.

But at least with some of the amp prices you see you can sometimes attribute it to the "latest/greatest new amp discovery factor" or "discontinued/short supply factor" or "guess what recording artist is now using the amp" factor.
    ;)