Question for vintage Marshall cab experts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Aug 6, 2008.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I have a '73 Marshall 8x10 with plastic handles that vibrate pretty severely at certain frequencies. I'm considering drilling out the rivets and using bolts or wood screws, or replacing them with Mojo's metal handles. I measure my handles at 10 1/2" x 6 1/2" while Mojo claims there's as 10 3/16" x 6 3/8" but suggest they fit older cabs. Is this a matter of "close enough"?

The cab is near mint but it is one item I can safely say I'll never sell. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.

2. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

They will fit in the holes on the cab but will the srew holes line up? Call them and ask for the dimensions of the screw holes side to side an up and down.

3. telewacker

Does that matter? The old holes will be covered anyway, right?

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I would actually try a few things before resorting to drilling the rivets out. Drilling on a near mint cabinet is usually unnecessary. Even if you plan on never selling it, someone else someday will own it.

First, I would make sure that it is the handles themselves causing the rattle. One of the main culprits in the plastic handles is the rod inside the handle. Have one person play, and another person press on different parts of the handle to try and stop the rattle. That should narrow it down. Assuming you have done that (or will), the next step is to try and stop the rattle. A little bit of silicon or glue on the handle, inside of the cabinet, will usually stop the handle from rattling. It shouldn't take much.

5. telewacker

Good points. I hate altering a minty cab like this, but I need it to be functional. I'll see if the silicone works before I try anything else. As a side note, I wanted basketweave grill cloth on this cab to smooth out the top end but there was no way I was going to remove the mint original checkerboard cloth. What I did was cut squares out of basketweave cloth a little bigger than the diameter of the speakers and put a piece between each speaker and the baffleboard. It worked beautifully and I didn't need to alter the cab's original condition.

6. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Jimbo's speaker diapers!!!!!

My old 70s Marshall 4x12 cabs have the same rattling handles, I stuck some heavy foam packing material in and that helps somewhat but I still hate the rattling.

Good luck and get some decent pedals!

7. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Well, if you didn't want to drill extra holes in it, it would matter. If you don't care, then drill away. I would try to isolate the rattle first like others have suggested.

8. telewacker

Where do you think he got the idea? Of course he gets full credit for thinking of them as "diapers"!!:roll

9. telewacker

I'll try to fix it without altering it. But if that's not possible and it requires drilling holes that can't be seen in order to install metal handles that don't rattle then I will in fact drill away. And the lucky bugger who winds up with the cab after I'm dead will just have to man up and deal with it.

10. drewl

drewl Member

Can you just replace the rivets?

11. talpa

talpa Member

can someone give me the best non-replacment solution for my '82 A cab - those POS plastic/riveted type handles are rattling just enough to piss me off...

what is the correct pro solution that does no exterior damage to the cab ?

(resale value)

TIA -

Jim