Question for you boutique amp owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pharmx, Jan 12, 2008.

1. pharmx

pharmx Member

Do you enjoy the sound of your amp with just the guitar plugged in, or do you try and shape the sound a bit more with pedals? If you do use pedals, do you continue with the boutique theme? Lastly, is there an effect that you think should come standard on all amps?

2. doublee

doublee Member

Its a bit of a broad question...

3. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I have a Germino Club 40 and a Victoria 35210. I enjoy the guitar to amp sound very much, especially on the Vicky. That said, I play guitar to amp about .01% of the time. I always have my EQ on to "sweeten" the tone and virtually always have some form of dirt on.

To answer your second question, if anything all amps should come with some tasty reverb. Otherwise, no built-in effects. They sound bad compared to a good pedal IMO.

4. devinb

devinb Member

I own two boutique amps, and three pedals, all boutique. I don't think I want to pay for any onboard effects, unless you consider a master volume an effect.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

With the Bad Cat Hot Cat 100R

Guitar-Cable-Amp-Speaker Cabs, that's all I need!

Well OK, the factory ABY pedal is cool too.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

West of YOW by way of CT, NY, NJ, Chicago and IN
    Victoria Regal II owner here.
    1. I love the sound of the guitar direct to the amp.
    2. I do use pedals sparingly and I'd say that most of them would be considered "boutique", although I was shopping for sound rather than label.
    3. A very good reverb and a bias-modulated tremolo both sound better to me in an amp than in a pedal.

7. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Two here also, and I use a Line 6 modulation modeler when a particular effect is called for. Mostly is just guitar to amp but I am looking into getting a clean boost and I wouldn't mind if a boost function was built into my amps (as it is on my Gibson Super Goldtone).

8. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Straight up baby!

If the amp lacks reverb and has a loop....okay, I'll but a verb in.

other than that, its a short and clean signal path from the pick to the speaker.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

10. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I always seem to use pedals. I do think that most amps should come with Reverb. :)

11. bilbal

bilbal Member

I prefer a simple layout - gain,treble,mid,bass, with or without MV (prefer with) and nothing else including reverb. All my effects are at my feet and my disposal.

Great topic BTW!!!

12. enditol

enditol Member

I use pedals with my amps, but I use channel switchers and the pedals in loop switchers etc etc. :rotflmao

I think all amps should have a switchable FX loop. MIDI is sweet too.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

If the amp doesn't have reverb, like my Aiken Sabre, it's got to have a good FX loop so I can add reverb,,,or delay....[which it does...actually, that amp has 2 loops, one for each channel....
    It's not needed all the time, but there are occasions where I end up playing in a really dry sounding room or club, and for that I need reverb...spring reverb like what's on my Rivera or Two Rock, or a loop where I can add Digital Reverb..Boss makes the RV-5 which sounds great..I'm not into rack gear AT ALL, but the current Boss pedals are fine for Delay and Reverb, and they work great in loops, or on your pedal board run strait into a clean amp.......just my 2 cents......

14. bynt

bynt Member

I've always used some effects with almost every amp until I got my Zinky. I just plug and play with it. Especially with my Les Paul. It's just magic. For about a year my effects just kind of sat in my pedal board. Surprisingly enough, my little Epiphone Valve Jr doesn't really see any effects either save maybe a booster. Just like it straight up. As far as every amp having an effect: not really. I like the fact that some of my amps have stuff that others don't. I don't use a whole lot of stuff anymore. Even reverb. If someone were to say that to me five years ago I would have thought they were ridiculous. I just don't use it as much now.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I use a boost pedal with my amp, sometimes a wah, and maybe a chorus pedal. I'm not real big into effects and have never incorporated them into my playing.

16. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Most of the time I prefer guitar straight into amp. I sometimes use pedals, some boutique, some mass produced, but all good quality and carefully chosen for a specific effect.

17. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I almost always plug straight in at home, but use just a few pedals (boutique) at the weekly jams I go to a friend's house. Usually just a wah, delay, and boost. If I'm playing my Strat I'll add a comp. Once in awhile I'll use the delay at home, but very rarely. I use the same amp for both, the Swart SST-30, which having a great MV works good for both situations.

I went "upgrade" crazy last year buying all high end stuff including the Swart amp, an R0 LP, and the pedals I now use. Not only is my tone absolutely killer now I'm actually playing a lot more because the gear is so inspiring to use!

18. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

I prefer a great clean point to point wired amp with a combination of my pedal choice "de jour". I like boutique amps & pedals because they are made in the USA by small independent builders who pay attention to detail, quality and workmanship. My ears appreciate the sound, thus bringing pleasure. The better I sound to myself, the better I play.

19. Wayne

Wayne Member

For me, reverb is a must-have on any amp.

Since I often front my amps with an OD and Delay pedal, a grab-and-go amp for me should have these as well.

Wayne

20. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I don't use reverb -onboard or otherwise. Not a tone snob/signal path issue. So much natural reverb in a given room I don't find myself wanting it.