Question for you Fender CS experts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack The Riffer, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Been eyeballing a used CS 56 relic in sunburst. Previous owner had the vintage frets replaced with medium jumbo's and also had the neck shaved a tad. The price seems right, plays good, etc., so any reason I should pass?

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Define what "price seems right" means? Frets replaced and neck shaved on a Fender CS relic should seriously effect price

3. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

$1450. From what I see new ones going for this seems like a good price but I'm not emotionally commited yet and welcome opinions.

4. Rich

Rich Member

OK. Bigger frets are welcomed by a lot of folk. But the big neck is very often what drives the sale of the 56's in the first place. If I am not mistaken it is the largest neck of the CS Strat line. As such, the shave may not be a welcomed mod.

So, if YOU like the frets and the smaller neck, and you honestly think it could be a keeper (yeah, haven't we all thought that many times over....), then maybe. But on a resale basis, I'd be very wary.

Finally, 1450 is not really a steal for a used '56 anyway, especially a modded one. The Relics usually do get the highest prices, but you can find stock Closet Classics at around that number and probably Relics too if you're not in a hurry.

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Not in any hurry really aside from relentless gas pains so I think I'll pass on the modded relic:) My big problem is I find my EJ strat so fookin killer I'm finding it really hard to venture into CS territory. Even bigger problem is logic goes out the window when I get within 10 feet of one. Any experience with the Custom Classics?

6. Rich

Rich Member

The Custom Classics are American Series guitars built to CS Standards. So they say. Peronally, Ive never checked into them, so I dont know which side of the fence they lean towards.

Take your time. Ive bought real deal CS (yeah, you see where my bias is) on ebay and here for great prices by just watching and waiting.

7. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I think that's great advice, thanks:dude

8. Rich

Rich Member

Anytime.

Just another fyi. If you like the larger necks, the only one Ive come across besides the '56 is one of the pre-Time Machine 54 Reissues. They were made maybe '94-'98. Nice, full V basically.

Also, there was a numbered run of 1,954 Ash/Maple 54s made in 1994. 2 Cases, a mess of repro paperwork. Nice guitars. They were production, but a lot of guys try to pass them off as CS. They tended to have big necks too.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Unless you really love it, I'd pass.

stratzrus