1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question for you Pedal Power II owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chuck Snider, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I'm looking for a new Pedal Power. I'm wondering if the "Line6" ports on the PPII can be switched to 9vdc regulated or are they dedicated to Line 6 power only?..... Thanks...
    Chuck

Unadan likes this.
  2. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

They ARE 9vDC and have to be switched to work with the Line6 pedals.

Unadan likes this.
  3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Interestingly, those switchable Line 6 ports just go from 9vdc to almost 18vdc (I think mine measuerd around 16.5 - 17). So whilst some of the Line 6 pedals are shipped with an AC adapter, they higher dc voltage works fine and means you could use the Line 6 ports for other effects that sound good on or need 18vdc.

Chris

CarlGuitarist and Unadan like this.
  4. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

How sure are you of this? I've been wanting to try my FD2 with 18 volts. So what you're saying is that I can put the FD2 on one of the Line6 ports and flip the switch as if I was running a L6 modeler and it should do the trick?

Unadan likes this.
  5. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Yup. I run my MI Audio Blueboy off of one of the L6 outputs. It opens up with 16v compared to 9v - I wish it could put out the full 25v it's designed for, but I'll take what I can get.

Unadan likes this.
  6. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Yes.

As Chrissy I also measured over 18v on mine BUT Voodoo Lab has responded to this that the voltage drops when in use but I have never checked it. I used to run my Barber LTD and DDSS and did notice a different from running them at 9v so there is definitely a change happening.

Unadan likes this.
  7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

little OT:

anyone know where i can get the power cables to use those 12v slots? i lost mine. :( or can i merely use the "regular" 9v ones, and get away with it?

Unadan likes this.
  8. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

No special cable required! The Line6 cable (with the red connector) is only special as it has a 2.5mm connector at one side and your typical pedal uses 2.1mm.

Unadan likes this.
  9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hey Brad,

I'd recommend you measure what yours puts out with everything else connected (just use a normal multimeter to do so) as I believe the outputs are NOT regulated. If it puts out the right amount, then go ahead and use it. Mine came in a bit less than 18v, but that wasn't a problem...

Chris

Unadan likes this.
  10. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

Alright! Thanks! I'll give it a try. :dude

Unadan likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Member

By the same token, could you run a Y cable from one of the Line 6 ports and one of the "sag" ports into a pedal that needed OVER 18v, measure and adjust the "sag" until you hit where you wanted to be?

Also, is output also a function of where you are, i.e. will power from different locations produce different output levels in the PP2 or will output remain constant?

Unadan likes this.
  12. TomK

TomK Member

True - the PP2 has marginal current for the L6 stompers so they goose the voltage so it will sag to the proper range. I was told by L6 that 15vdc is the max safe voltage.

Unadan likes this.