Question for Zendrive 2 Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Andygee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

I've read that if you're gonna use single coil pickups with this pedal you should use something (boost, drive) in front of it. Any suggestions? Something like an Xotic EP? Thanks

2. terrapin

terrapin Member

I don't need it and I use only single coils. It does sound very cool if/when I hit it with my Clean Boost for leads, but the pedal sounds great on its own. FYI, O did not like mine with a 12AX7 and am currently running an NOS 12AU7 for a bit less gain, and I love it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

You might of gleaned the wrong info on it. It does boost/stack nicely. But as expected, It's a $250 pedal that sounds great right out of the box with any pup configuration. It's the foundation of my board! I play an HSS. As far as I'm concerned Throw anything in front of it and "voila" lead boost. Yeah even more mojo I suppose. Does it need a boost for singles.....nah.

4. Andygee

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

+1 on the NOS 12AU7. I thought it made a big difference in gain, tone, and feel. Really smoothed out the harshness much to my liking.

PS
    Really reacts great with the mid-boost on my Clapton Strat.

6. terrapin

terrapin Member

IMHO.....Hermida should ship the Zen 2 with a good 12AU7!!!

7. Andygee

On the money with the 12AU7 tip. Not bad with the "X" but all the difference in the world with an NOS RCA 12AU7 I had sitting around collecting dust. BTW the Tung Sol 12AX7 that came in my Zen 2 sounds great in V1 of the 15W 2xEL84 amp I'm playing.

:aok