Question: If the audience doesn't know analog from digital....

phil_m

Supporting Member
Why would the audience care? Do you care what kind of hammer the contractor you hire to work on your house is using? Most audience members certainly aren’t going to be able to hear the difference between different modelers. They probably can’t hear the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul, either.

dazco

If the audience can't tell the difference between a tube amp and a modeler, can they tell the difference between a $2000 and $500 modeler?
If yes, why?
Seriously? You might be insulted by this, but i'm gonna say it anyways because it IS pertinent....if you don't know the answer to this you must be a beginner or close. Anyone with a reasonable degree of experience who is a fairly good player understands that dynamics are one of the most important aspects of technique. Tone encompasses a lot more then what the audience hears, that being the way it responds to your hands. The way it responds dynamically and tone wise to your hands. That is IMO and i'm sure the opinions of any good player one of the most important things. Imagine using a compressor set so that there are no dynamics. No matter how soft or hard you pick the volume, drive, and tone always sounds exactly the same. Would you enjoy playing a rig like that? Maybe as an effect on a given song, but would you like a tone like that all the time? If you are anything but a beginner of course not. You'd dump that rig in a nanosecond. That said, do you think the audience would notice that? Of course not. And lastly, do you think any audience would even hear the difference between a amp considered by most players mediocre and one that's generally considered the holy grail? Again no. The audience, barring the tiny percentage of any players with great ears, haven't a clue about tone and a million times less about tonal aspects like dynamics that only the player feels. Lets not even get into saddles and steel vs zink blocks, pickups, etc etc, because even good players can only hear or feel that difference if the guitar is in THIER hands being played by them.

The whole "does the audience hear it" argument about what gear matters is a completely senseless one that keeps coming up here. I DO get that there are members here from beginners to highly experienced pros and therefore i tried to answer the question seriously in case you are a beginner who is truly asking due to lack of experience as a player. But i think a lot of people just ask to troll because they get irritated with people who are anal about gear. But the answer to WHY they are is IMO in this post. As an analogy consider 2 cars, one that handles like crap and the other that handles great. You see em driving down a twisty road but you have no idea which handles great. I guarandamnty you the drivers do tho ! Maybe one is beating the other but u don't know if it's the driver or the car.

bdrepko

I believe that the audience can tell a difference between a good sounding amp and a bad one. THey may not fully understand what sounds off. The real question is whether that affects their opinion of the band or not. One thing is certain, the time that engineers spend selecting the right amp, speakers, microphone, guitar, etc as well as the time spent mixing and mastering tracks for an album tells me that quality of sound does play a large role in determining the popularity of the song.

EL84 Abuser

The whole "does the audience hear it" argument about what gear matters is a completely senseless one that keeps coming up here.
Which is the point of the question. It's directed at those who make the "does the audience hear it" argument.

been playing for 46 yrs. 3 years full time-pro, cover bands for another 15.

drfrankencopter

Supporting Member
The audience can tell if the players are having a good time or not. So, if the difference matters to you, and affects your playing, then they can tell...if it doesn’t really matter to you, or doesn’t affect your ability to play, then it doesn’t matter to the audience.

I wonder how often some of you really gig out often - because if you do, at least once in a while you're going to get a gig where you can't really hear yourself hardly at all, and that makes the whole "I need to hear the absolute last bit of amp dynamics for me to put off a convincing, entertaining performance" kinda silly to me.

Trending Topics