• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Question: Is there a market for a good 5-watt tweed amp for guitar, under $500?

Rick Davis

Hi, I'm the maker of the Memphis Mini harp amp: http://www.memphisbluesamps.com/

I'd like to know if you think there is a market among guitar players for a similar amp, tuned specifically for guitar. It would have the sparkle and chime that are just not there in an amp designed for Chicago style blues harp.

- 5-watts from a single-ended Class A circuit
- Hand wired point-to-point on a turret board
- Ruby 6V6 power tube
- Big iron in the transformers
- Weber Signature 8-inch speaker
- Tru-Tone line out
- Vintage-style tweed cab

The price would be under $500. Do you think there is any demand for such an amp?

Thanks!

-Rick Davis

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
You're essentially describing a tweed champ with the higher clean overhead of the tweed Princeton from the bigger iron (and one assumes slightly more robust filtering for the power supply). Tube or SS rectification (to keep prices down)?

I think most hand-wired champ copies are a bit more than $500 so that seems like a good plan. I would suggest making the power supply robust enough, and the choice of OT adequate to allow the use of 6K6 (for lower output) and 6L6 (for higher output) tubes as well. I think there would be a market, although it's crowded out there! Being able to provide amps in a timely manner when ordered would be a great idea (or if there has to be a waiting list, no pay until the amp is done).

It would also be worth making the box from pine, as some of the resonance and beauty of a champ style circuit is that box ringing! Rather than ply…

manimal

Let me think, YES!!!!
If the quality and sound is there at that price....you would have amp orders up to your eyeballs.

koa

Silver Supporting Member
I would probably push for a 12" speaker.
But yeah, I'd say there's market for it.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think there is a huge market for this amp at that price point. Count me in.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
There's a lot of 1x8" and 1x12" out there, but I'd vote for a 1x10"! Smaller & lighter than a 12", but hopefully a bit fuller sound than Champ-style 8" models.

Scott57

There's a lot of 1x8" and 1x12" out there, but I'd vote for a 1x10"! Smaller & lighter than a 12", but hopefully a bit fuller sound than Champ-style 8" models.
Exactly what I was thinking - I'd prefer at least a 1 x 10.

Shiro

Gold Supporting Member
I will never buy another amp with an 8" speaker. I'm on the fence with a 10. Put a 12 in there and I would be very interested.

Rick Davis

Thanks!. I like the suggestion about the 6L6. I'm sure we can accommodate that.

If we went with a larger cab and speaker the price would rise a fair amount. Right now I'm interested in the current configuration: 1x8.

Shiro, with the ceramic Weber speaker the amp tone has a lot of girth. I was surprised and impressed. This thing sounds really big for a 1x8.

zenitB, the amp has volume and tone controls.

JP~)

like was mentioned above. I will never own an amp with an 8" speaker again. I just traded my 54 Champ. Held onto it for around 10 years thinking it could be useful...but I never found a use for it. Loved the tone but it was to boxy sounding

KSKONDOR

I feel there is. It's a classic amp, and real tweeds are expensive. Some clones are going for way more than the price you mention. Even KITS are going for more than you mention when you include a speaker and cab.

MoonshineMan

I run my 5f2-a tweed princeton in a 2-10" combo and it's glorious. I used Allen's OT and the amp punches far above its weight class.
Reconfigured into a head, that amp would be pretty incedible. Let the buyers determine the cab. It would lower your cost by quite a bit as well, I would think. People with multiple cabs could run it into a 1-10" cab, for low volume stuff, or plug into a 2-10/12 cab for rocking out the place. Mine, into a pair of WGS Vet 30's is a rock machine!
My wife wants me to start building for a business, but she hates my present job and just wants me home. She doesn't quite understand the market for these things. It won't keep the bills paid, until you have a big name, like Vic or Z and the like. (Not to sound discouraging!!!)
Properly done, the amp has possibilities!

Promit

It has to have at least a 10. I can understand a 12 being too big but I would really push for the 10 .

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
How about a lower priced head version? Then you can plug it into any cab and forget about the 8 inch speaker. Bob

river_jetties

^^ agreed about head version. I really don't know why nobody has done that yet. Like a tungsten mosaic. I would also say make it easily hackable

Trending Topics

Top Bottom