Question: Matchless C30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrweems, Jan 7, 2008.

1. mrweems

mrweems Member

So. I found out about Matchless a few years ago. And i haven't had the chance still to test drive one out. I live in Mississippi and if you don't know anything about this place.. lets just say.. There is no gear to be found.

Well my question is. Is the Matchless C30 head worth it? Is it worth price for a suped up Ac30 modified circuit? I'm sure i'm butchering the idea and everything about the matchless amp by that statement.

How does it compare to other low gain circuits in the EL84 family?

Dr z Maz Jr/Sr
    Ac30cc
    Matchless C30
    and etc of these models.

I love the el84 ac30 type circuit. I currently have a Dr z maz jr. But am looking for a head in the 30-40w range. And i'm considering all options.

Also if you have any pictures. Post em!

thanks
    matt

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

I'd argue that it depends on how loud you are able to play. You already have a MAZ18 Jr (which I've heard is a loud 18 watts), so it might not be too much of a problem.
    I wouldn't buy a C30 based on the master volume. It is usable, but not for extreme low volume playing.
    It is a great amp, though and the platform helped start a small revolution in amp design. I like it better than the AC30CC and the MAZ Sr.

3. mrweems

mrweems Member

thats saying alot i guess.

i am in a band that plays out. i'd say i have the volume up to about 4 with the master cranked on the maz

i'm definately looking for those cleans that are about to break up and slam it with a hotcake for that "jump" and then my eternity for endless sustain'd OD.

I'm looking for somthing a little louder and bassier than the maz jr.

Right now i'm on the hunt for a maz sr. specifically with reverb.

4. gregc

gregc Member

When I got my DC-30 I sold my very good Korg/Vox AC-30 w/Blues combo. I prefer the Matchless. The master works, though not for bedroom volume. Also, the 1/2 power switch helps, trhough it's still a loud 15 watter even at that point. Wondferfully toneful amp, built to last, IMO.

5. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Buy the matchless... You will not look back. I had a DC-30 that I sold because I stopped gigging so I scaled down to a MAZJR 210. It only took me a couple of months after owning the MAZ to sell it and buy another matchless. The C-30 is my all time favorite amp. Dont get me wrong the MAZ does what it does wonderfully... but the c-30 is just the best.

As far as the volume I jam with friends some and play it at the house.. It sounds good at all volumes in my opion... then again mine is a 2x10 so that may help.

-BDUNN

6. mrweems

mrweems Member

BUT....

Is it worth the ticket price for admission?

I have my Maz Jr 2x10 and paid a little under 1/2 of the price of a Matchless head. And it sounds great. My only question now i guess remains at.. Is it worth the extra cash for that tone?

i'm sure this is a situation of. You want to know, so you ask. But then you play one and its game over. Gotta own it.

7. mrweems

mrweems Member

lol. i'm just a college student. not exactly able to just splurge out on the matchless.

i'm just in the market for a head. I have a dr z zbest cab. and am looking for a head. Right now looking at another z. but i have a few things that may sell soon. And if so i'll have enough possibly for a matchless head.

And if so, I HAVE TO STOP BUYING GEAR for a while after this.

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The C-30 is a classic. Only you can determine if it's right for you. Your best bet is to buy a used one at a decent price. If you don't like it you can sell it and get your money back.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

HC-30s are great!

Tons of chime and pretty damn loud!

10. mrweems

mrweems Member

Thats the only problem. Finding a good deal on one.

They seem to not go under 2k

11. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

They are out there, you just have to be patient. I almost bought a used HC30 from a dealer in Florida last year that was listed at $1900. I ended up buying a 65 Amps London instead, but if I had not found the deal I got on it, I would have bought the HC30.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

HC-30 owner here. Absolutely one of the finest amps I've ever played. I can't say enough about Matchless!

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

I had an S/C30 combo and a Clubman. Still have an AC30 TBX. Just played a MAZ Jr. 2 X 10". My take? Keep the MAZ and do something else with your money.

14. mrweems

mrweems Member

Thats what i'm thinking. But the situation is I want a head. I just bought a Drz zbest 2x12.

The maz i currently have was a special one, it has one output and it has a DI for recording.

Do you ever see Matchless HC30's go 1500-1700?

15. Telephile

Telephile Member

Keep your eye out I just saw a matchless HC30 go for 1625 on ebay. I almost snagged it. I have been using a DC30 for a few months now. It is truly a special amp.