Question on a Warmoth build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratter, May 29, 2015.

1. stratter

stratter Member

I'm building a really cool strat that consists of a solid rosewood neck, and a rosewood laminate top, and a solid walnut body. It will also have a wilkinson tremolo too.

I've heard that walnut has a very undefined sound without good pickups, and I need recommendations for an excellent set of pickups. I'd prefer an SSS layout. I want kind of a sharper Clapton tone if possible. I've heard walnut has a very percussive sound, like many dense woods.

Any answers?

2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

For good pickups, try Aaron Campbell from Rumpelstiltskin, I have a great experience with him. He can custom wind you exactly what you want, also he's fast!
    I would also highly recommend Don Mare, he knows his stuff very well, he probably has a set that'll do what you want, just give him a call. Otherwise, also try arcane and rocketfire (though rocketfire is more focused on vintage correct replicas).

3. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

You will get a ton of opinions but I say stick with classic woods. All rosewood on a neck will be a tad dark sounding. Full though. But anything but sharp as you are looking for
    Imho

Alder and a maple neck is about as good as it gets. Or rosewood fretboard

Deed_Poll and Madgansound like this.
  4. gulliver

gulliver Member

I've done a lot of experimenting with different tone woods and pickups ... really important to match the wood with the pickups on any guitar IMHO. I went through 40+ pickups on three strats and a PRS, for lighter strats, more traditional pickups, heavier can handle hotter outputs. My light to heavy strat selections for neck and middle are Area 67 neck/texas Special middle, Suhr V60 LP and Fralin Blues Specials respectively. I just finished going HSS with all of them and like Voodoo and Suhr PAFs.

5. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

Your wood choices will be rather smooth with a lot of bass if the parts of the guitar are typical. I would suspect this is not what I would choose for something described as sharper.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Why those woods?

7. mxvin

mxvin Member

PUPs are very very subjective and so is the role woods play in the final tone. Good luck on your search and my advice is go more on the description of the PUP itself than matching to your wood.."tone" .

8. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

I built a Walnut Strat a while back with a sample board I got free from a local sawmill and I thought it sounded GREAT. Very articulate and loud. The only drawback I found is it was heavy but even still maybe just a half pound or pound more than Alder. But the tone, don't worry about it sounding undefined. That wasn't the word I thought of when I plugged in and heard Walnut for the first time. Sounds great! I also heard a recent LP build from a local builder with Walnut and same thing. Very articulate and nice chime. Walnut is easy to come by in Missouri. I even harvest it as firewood... terrible I know! But it cuts and splits easy.

9. omfg51

omfg51 Member

You're probably going to swap out pickups quite a few times. Every recommendation is simply perspective, only your ear can tell what's right.

10. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I've had very good luck with Fralin and Lollar. If I was to do another build and had to choose between those two it would be a very agonizing decision.