Question on a Zoom H2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JackD, Feb 6, 2008.

1. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I am thinking of getting a Zoom H2 and have heard great reviews of using it as a simple recording device.

In addition to recording live gigs etc., I want to use it to record amp clips (Tag and ScottL have been bugging me for years to do so). In doing so, I don't want to use the built-in mics.

In looking at the information, the H2 has an 1/8" input jack and comes with a Y cable to stereo RCA. Here's my question, would the H2 work well by using the RCA cable to hook it up to my mixing board and then using an SM57 on the amp for recording? Has anyone tried this yet? How well does it work?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. mep

mep Supporting Member

I have not done exactly what you are talking about but I have used the line in from my stereo receiver to record a phonograph so that I could take the file and turn it into a CD. It worked great.

This is what you would be doing with the H2. Amp > SM57 > Board > line out to line in of the H2. Would work great. Hope that helps.

3. Cb

Cb Member

There's a great Zoom H4 & H2 board (try Google). Those guys know the H2 inside and out, and while they have high praise for it, they do report that the headphone output (that I think you're talking about using for your PC input) is very noisy.

I've got an H2 and I think think the built-in mics are excellent.

This is an H2's 120 degree pair, in a bar room, right at the edge of the stage:

http://gnobility.com/tunes/Slice/All_Blues.mp3

I recorded in 24/48 wav format, Middle Gain detent, 100% level, and then converted the wav to a 320K MP3 on my PC. No other editing, no H2 auto-limiting, etc. I think the built-in mics are plenty good for amp clips.

Cb

4. 6789

6789 Member

5. isfahani

isfahani Member

It's been noted elsewhere that the line in and mic in jacks may be too noisy for 'serious' recording. I haven't tried them yet, as I find the onboard mics are just fine - if I wanted to use better mic's I'd use a DAW with better preamps.

6. JackD

Would an H4 be better--just asking?

7. isfahani

isfahani Member

Better for line or mic input purposes? I doubt it, but have no real experience to go from. And the user interface on the H4 sucketh, imo...

8. SGNick

SGNick Member

For what you want to do, the H4 would definitely be best. WAY simpler than than going through all the hoops above, plug the mic into the H4 input (it supports phantom power) and set the input to Mic 1 / Mic 2 / Mic 1&2.

The user interface is tricky at first. I can now scroll through flawlessly now.

9. JackD

How's the sound quality? Also, is ther a USB interface (like the H2) where you can then simply connect the unit to your PC and transfer the files from the H4 to the pc?

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

The H4 can record directly to MP3, or 44.1k (CD quality), 48k (DVD quality) or 96k ( useless for my applications.

there is USB interface. If you can get a card reader it'll be a lot faster though.

11. mep

mep Supporting Member

Anything that you can do with the H4 can also be accomplished with the H2. You wouldn't have to go through the board you could just use an adapter and run the microphone into the external mic in.