Question on ABY switchers

89strat

I play an electric guitar into a pedalboard into a fender amp for most of my set. For a few songs, I use an acoustic going straight to the soundboard/PA. My pedalboard has some effects on there that I would like to use on my acoustic, such as a looper, an overdrive/boost pedal, echo, etc.. I have these concerns;

I'm thinking of running an ABY pedal after the board that will switch between the Amplifier and PA so that I can use my pedalboard for both. Will there be any kind of grounding issues, or anything like that? What would be a good recommendation for something like that that is not expensive? I was thinking like a radial big shot aby, or even one of the smaller micro size pedals made by On Stage or Mooer, etc...

The other question I have is could I actually add an overdrive sound onto my acoustic going into the PA. I know it wouldn't sound great, but I just need a lead tone for a couple of songs we do where I use the acoustic. I just want to know if it would damage anything, or cause other noise issues.

My other option is to set up a separate board altogether which I'm trying to avoid carrying more stuff than I need to.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
When I did this for my acoustic rig, I used a DI box after the ABY on the acoustic line going into the PA. If you do that you should be good to go.

I'm thinking of running an ABY pedal after the board that will switch between the Amplifier and PA so that I can use my pedalboard for both. Will there be any kind of grounding issues, or anything like that? What would be a good recommendation for something like that that is not expensive? I was thinking like a radial big shot aby, or even one of the smaller micro size pedals made by On Stage or Mooer, etc...
Have a look here:
https://www.brightonion.co.uk/active-aby-pedal-with-isolated-second-output/
https://www.brightonion.co.uk/active-aby-pedal-with-isolated-second-output/

You do need a splitter with a buffer, ground lift and phase reversal.

The brightonion one ticks all the right boxes, and you can choose the colours of the LED's - very happy with mine at £75.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I do this on my board...I have a Radial Big shot at the end and one goes to the DI/PA, the other to my amp. I think it died last night after about 6 years and probably thousands of uses. The new one has lights to show which side is on, but is passive. It's been a great tool for years and years.
OP...what did you end up doing?

Trending Topics