Question on Menatone KotB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

Any experiences with this beast? The Menatone homepage clips don't really give an idea on how this pedal performs with rhythm. Can it do JCM800 type crunch? How do you think it would stack after a TBIAC6 set to low gain for basic tone?

Thanks!

P.S. Any clips with rock riffing appreciated:dude

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

It's an amazing pedal! For straight hard rock tones, it rulz! I have some killer clips I'll try to get up soon. It does a nice rhythm and a nice lead tone. Id say it's a mix between a plexi and a JCM800. It just kills through a good Vox style amp (has the proper midrange match). Through a fender style amp, the KOTB sounds a little harsh to me and a little too heavy.

I have an earlier (2001) 5 knob, I love it! I'll have to admit, the new 6 knob one is the best though...

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Sounds good!

Can't wait to hear your clips! My amp is Vox-style so it could work well.

Have you tried it stacked with the TBIAC? That on its own gives me a great low gain sound but i'd like to add some Marshall to that for some more gain...

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I for one, wouldn't stack them. It's been a while since I had both the TBIAC and my KOTB. The TBIAC is a cool pedal too, it was just too EL84 fizzy, not the tone I was looking for. But man, it's still a cool pedal.

I'd use them separately. For instance, for gigs I use a Lovepedal Eternity for lower gain and rhythm stuff, I simultaneously switch it off and switch a Keeley RAT on for lead stuff or heavier rhythm tones. I simply don't like staking pedals, but that's JMO.

Every single Menatone pedal I've tried is either the best at its intended use or one of the best. The workmanship is top notch and the tone is always cool. The Pleasure Trem 5000 is THE tremolo!!!

One of the real cool features of the 6 knob KOTB is the control of either a “pre-amp” sounding gain and/either a “power-amp” sounding gain. Out of a solid state distortion, it’s pretty cool how close it gets to nailing those to types of clipping. It also nails the upper mid bite tone of a good Marshall. Very reminiscent of the 50 watt plexi I used to own.

5. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I've had both the TBIAC and KOB-6 but never tried stacking them. I think the KOB has so much gain, it would be hard one to stack. Plus, it's not needed. You can dial up the KOB pretty hot and then use the guitar's volume to control rhythm and lead levels. It's also amazing how really amplike the pedal is. I sold mine a few months ago as I wasn't needing a high gain pedal that much and had a wild hair to try something new. Well, those new ones have gone by the wayside and I'd like to get another KOB6 again. It's one of the few distortion pedals I've used that doesn't mush out playing with a band.

6. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I'm a Menatone freak. My dirt tones come from a KOB6, Fish Factory, and a TBIAC6.

I love the KOB6 on it's own - but to really make it stand out I stack it with the RS side of the FF. I run them in decreasing gain, so KOB6> TBIAC > FF. I also stack the BC and RS sides of the FF to get a great rhythm Marshall tone. I set my KOB6 to get the 80's metal tones that I'm a sucker for.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great news,

Should have a KotB6 in a few days! Bad news is that I will be leaving for England on thu. Dang!

I'm still looking forward to hearing those clips b.t.w. if you have any hanging around. Something nice and crunchy.

I'll probably try stacking the KotB after the TBIAC but if it doesn't work it doesn't really matter. I can use them separately anyway.

So many pedals coming in at the moment! I'm getting all mixed up and the focus on recording is beginning to blur. Got a couple of D*A*M's arriving soon too!

8. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Dang,

John_M: I don't think the links are working anymore. Can't access your clips...

Nice studio and pedalboard though!

10. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

crap - been a while I may have taken them down.

I'll see if I can find them