Question on recording amp direct

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kselbee, Jun 21, 2004.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I want to record with my amp and was wondering.... can I go direct from the effects loop send? How will this sound?

2. producthead

producthead Guest

it really depends on the amp and speakers etc... what do you have, what are you recording? What style/type of music...

Generally, I don't like to record guitars direct. The tone usually sucks. Bass is okay if it is a good amp with a nice preamp. Remember, the tone come from a combination of the preamp, power amp, and speakers, ... not to mention the type of guitar. The caveate to this is: If you can get a good tone, go with it.... THere is NO right answer the the recording question...

A great alternative to using an amp direct is to use an amp simulator/modeler (i.e. - POD, ampfarm, amplitude, etc...). I've tracked a lot of tracks on my record with a POD, and it sounds awsome when mixed with my rig's tone.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Best thing to do is try all methods. preamp send will be OK, but will likely be buzzy and need a lot of EQ.

Also try a line out, hopefully with variable gain if your amp has a line out.

Sooner or later you'll probably want a cab sim/DI box or an iso box for quiet DI recording.

Modeling boxes and rack preamps are pretty subjective. I don't like the Pod, but I do like the ADA-MP-1.

Be sure to keep a proper load on your tube amp when experimenting with DI recording.

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

What exactly do you mean by this?

5. kselbee

kselbee Member

Style is rock/alternative type music. I have a variety of guitars and have a Chubster and Marshall for amps. I've tried the Pod and other similar devices, but really don't care for digital. I hate to sound like a snob, but it just doesn't sound real to me. I could always mic my amp, but then have to deal with a quiet environment and then I'd need headphones, etc. This is just home recording so I just want the best tube sound. So it sounds like maybe I should mic it.

6. tedm

just to keep your speakers connected while you do your DI recording. Or if you disconnect your speakers, put a hot plate or equivalent load on the tube amp. The cab sims I'm familiar with have a "pass through" that goes either back to the speaker, or to a load device.

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

My amp has an effects loop.... so should I use the send and then plug back into the return? Is that what you mean? Or do you mean the speaker itself? I've never unplugged the speaker and don't think I need to. Sorry, just haven't recorded with a tube amp before. Thanks.....

8. tedm

OK, if you're keeping the speaker plugged in, you're OK.

BTW, what kind of amp?

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> So it sounds like maybe I should mic it.

From what you're saying, I think you would be happier with the results.

Your environment wouldn't have to be dead quiet if you close-mic the amp.

10. kselbee

kselbee Member

I have 2.... a Marshall TSL and a Rivera Chubster.

11. tedm

OK, cool. Definitely keep the speakers plugged in on them.

However, if you end up going the cab sim/DI route, the best tones come from the speaker out jack, so in those cases you'll need to put your plug into the cab sim (if, for example it's a red box by H&K, or UltraG by Behringer), or an appropriate load device if you want to hear the DI sound alone without the amp's speaker sound. Make sense? UltraG's are $29, and H&K Red Box's are $89 or so, so you might want to try one of these. Iso cabs are several hundred because they usually contain a real speaker and a mic.