Question on shielding guitars

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by clamdip7714, Feb 12, 2008.

1. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Should copper tape be used on pickup routs on a LP?

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

No point in it if your talking humbuckers with the covers on.

3. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Taking the covers off so I take it a good idea then.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

The metal baseplate and shielded wire along with humbucking coils will take care of most of it. If the pickup was deep in the pocket there may be some benefit but I don't think much. Try it with out the shielding in the pu routs. The control cavity and back plate should be shielded. Does it have the metal cover and plate inside, if so no more shielding is needed.

5. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I'll shield the control routes first and see. Means I don't have to take off strings. ;)

Nope it's a newer LPS, crappy shield paint in one small area and that is flaking as it. I got all new copper tape from Stew Mac and all new posts, caps etc. I am redoing all the guts but pickups. The Bridge ground is intact and functioning right, it just hums like a mofo when you aren't handling it. The new pots will help because the old ones have a short throw from on to off. I hate the way they work. I have 500K pots for volume. Anyways thanks for the info. I mainly wanted to see if I need bother with the pup area.

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Do the control cavity and the cover plate making sure that they ground together and I'll bet most of your buzz will be gone. All guitars will pickup a slight amount when the strings are not grounded except maybe EMG's.