Question on warmoth Jazzmaster build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by voxylady, Apr 25, 2016.

1. voxylady

voxylady Member

hi all,

Looking to build a custom warmoth Jazzmaster, and I have a question for you JM experts. Firstly, I'm planning on cutting out the rhythm circuit as I never liked them or used them in the JMers I've played.

But the real issue is the bridge. I never use trem, so I was thinking about getting a TOM bridge, but I've read that so much of the JM sound is the sympathetic string vibrations from the extra string behind the bridge.

If I get a TOM style bridge, will I be losing a lot of the JM sound, or will I get mostly there? I'm not a purist by any means, so I'm not concerned with getting the sound 100%, but if the TOM will make a big enough difference to change the sound, I might not wanna go that route.

Thanks for the help.

Silver Hand likes this.
  2. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I would get a normal Jazzmaster bridge and a flat tailpiece instead of the trem unit. There are folks that make them.

voxylady likes this.
  3. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

Try to get your hands on a J Mascis Squier or Modern Player JM. Those have tune o matics. That will give you an idea of what it will be like. I personally like the Mastery Bridge. A lot of people prefer Mustang or Stay Trem. I don't like the original JM bridge.. always had strings popping out of the saddles and other issues.

voxylady likes this.
  4. voxylady

voxylady Member

I had previously owned a Squire J Mascis, and really liked it, which is what pushed me to do this build, but ive read the pups in there are more P90-ish than traditional JM pups, so I don't know how much of the difference in sound came from the pups or how much came from the TOM bridge.

5. SciFlyer

Yeah, the pickups in the J are pretty different. Definitely P 90ish. Great for loud, ballsy stuff.

I like the Duncan Antiquity II's a lot. Put some in my old MIJ Jazzmaster and it sounds very good.

voxylady likes this.
  6. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

I just had a Jazzmaster built for me, and decided to give a regular Jazzmaster bridge a shot before switching. I have a Staytrem on my Bass VI that works well, but I mostly got that for intonation adjustment space and not for the other more typical reasons.

The stock Jazzmaster bridge is what I'm staying with. Each saddle is adjustable for action/radius height, intonation length, and string spacing. It is the only bridge that offers all of those things. If strings are popping out (mine did at first) it is because the bridge is too low and there isn't enough break angle on the strings. It was a simple fix by shimming the neck, which is common on Jazzmaster setups. I haven't directly compared another bridge on this guitar, so I can't speak for how another one would change the sound.

I also left the upper electronic because I'd rather have it and not need it than vice-versa. It can be used as a kill switch too.

Also, if you get a TOM bridge...make sure it matches your fretboard radius!

EDIT: J Masic's Jazzmaster has P90ish pickups. Traditional JM pickups sound between those and Strat pickups, as a broad generalization.

voxylady and Starshine like this.
  7. Starshine

Starshine Member

Yes! Thank you. I'm always amazed people go directly to replacing the JM bridge. I've had no problem with them once I've shimmed the neck and gotten a good setup. They're a big part of the Jazzmaster sound as well, especially if you're using the trem (which you should, because it's one of the best trems).

Silver Hand likes this.
  8. SciFlyer

The stock bridge is finicky and if you play aggressively or are heavy handed it's an issue. I kept mine stock for the first 15 years I owned the guitar. Regularly maintained and set up properly. The strings popping off the saddle, things coming loose, etc. was an ongoing issue. It would always happen during shows. I switched to a Mastery a few years ago and it has been a vast improvement.

9. voxylady

voxylady Member

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about. If I went with a trem system id go for the mastery bridge setup, but my budget isn't big enough to accommodate it. That's why I'm thinking of just going with a TOM, but I don't mind saving for the mastery if the TOM is going to make my Jazzmaster, not sound like a Jazzmaster

10. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

FYI, TOM bridges with Jazzmaster trems still can have issues with not enough break angle. The problem stems from the angle from the bridge to the trem, not so much the actual bridge mount.

Starshine likes this.
  11. voxylady

voxylady Member

Right, but with warmoth, using a TOM bridge would mean I have a string-through-body setup. That should create enough of a break angle right?

Silver Hand likes this.
  12. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Yes, that very much would if its a through body design. I was referring to using a TOM with the tremolo still on, which is further away than the typical stop piece that comes with If you're doing through body, you can use any bridge you want, and aren't just limited to TOM and offset bridges, however.

If you get TOM, make sure you get a matching fretboard radius and that you don't care about having individual height saddles adjustments for accommodating otherwise. Jazzmaster necks tend to be 7.25", TOM and Gibsons necks 12", and Warmoth has multiple options.

Also, TOM string spacing is a bit narrower than most Fender style bridges, which lines up with 49.2mm humbucker string spacing and not the 52mm Jazzmaster pickup string spacing.

I'm not trying to tell you specifically NOT to get a TOM bridge...I'm just letting you know that it might fix zero problems for you and cause a few others. Choosing a bridge comes down to a combination of preferences and compromises.

voxylady likes this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Member

i believe the OP wants to ditch the ENTIRE trem - not replace the bridge, and is concerned the TOM won't have as much string behind the bridge to impart the classic JM tone. Just put the TOM on and put the stop bar further back than on a gibson - ie put it where the strings anchor on the stock JM bridge. The old guilds were like this (more string between the stop piece and the bridge)

Silver Hand likes this.
  14. voxylady

voxylady Member

Hmm, thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the possible issues you just laid out. I got a warmoth, compound radius strat neck gifted to me from a friend, so I was planning on using it for this build. I hadn't even thought about adjusting the individual saddles, and the string spacing issue. It might be easier to go with a mastery system or modified mustang bridge after all. Thanks for the info!

Silver Hand likes this.
  15. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

If you have a Warmoth compound radius fretboard (their 10"-16") it ends up being around 20" by the time it gets to the bridge. If you want to have good action on all but the D and G strings, I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a bridge with individual saddle height adjustment.

voxylady likes this.