1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question; Potting a Tele Bridge Pup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by WahmBoomAh, Feb 8, 2008.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I have a Florance VooDoo repro of a steel plate 1950(?) broadcaster pickup . At least that`s what I was told .. might be a little off on the repro year .
    Anyway, it is perfectly and meticulously aged with string wound around the coil and dust and all .
    Problem is .. I really like the sound and hot output but it obviously howls like a dog with any amp volume or od pedal .
    If I get it potted ....aside from the cosmetic factor with the aging ...what can I expect soundwise?
    Is this even possible or does it have to be dissasembled for effective penetration .... lastly , who would be the "cat' to do the best job on it ?
    thanks fellows

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if it's a good well-made pickup, it shouldn't be squealing uncontrollably. look at the bridge itself, which might be "sprung", so that the part holding the pickup is slightly off of the guitar body. this would allow it to vibrate like a diving board, causing all kinds of squeal.

the trick is to bend the bridge ever so slightly convex so that the mounting screws pull all 4 corners tight against the wood.

also, be sure the 3 screws that hold the pickup to the bridge are sprung pretty stiffly, so the bottom plate is held tightly against the pickup itself.

if it does need to be potted, a traditional fiberboard bobbin single coil is pretty safe to be dipped, as opposed to gibson-style plastic, which can melt if over-heated. just dip the whole thing, trying to pry off the bottom plate will make things worse.

4. WahmBoomAh

thanks Walter ... as far as the mounting ....wheen I swap to another pup ..all is normal .. I`ll look into dipping it ...any tonal change ? Will it me less articulate ?

5. WahmBoomAh

ok ..edited original post for spelling ... sorry Peter

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I get a few tele's in with the pickup base plate touching the body rout and after relieving the sides of the rout for clearance the feedback is gone. Move the pickup around slighly to see if it's bumping or resting against the body. Obviously if it has the metal baseplate it has to be secured with wax and as a last resort pot the whole pickup.

7. doublee

doublee Member

This is the first I have heard of 'securing pu's with wax', or baseplates on tele's for that matter. Someone explain please, thanks.

8. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

The pickup's magnets will hold the base plate to the bottom (base) of the pickup but if there isn't enough wax sealing the baseplate to the base the pickup will squeal. I had it happen with a brand new Fralin that got knocked around a little in shipping. I just put a hot soldering iron to the baseplate and ran a block of paraffin around the edge letting it run down inside under the plate, then laid the pup face down and ran the hot iron around the plate hoping to fill any voids and it cured the problem. YMMV but it worked for me.
    You could try asking on the Ampage pickup makers forum, they're pros. They'd have better advice.

Come to think of it, Lindy's got baseplate instructions on his website.
    http://www.fralinpickups.com/bplate.asp

9. doublee

doublee Member

Schwalbe, thanks. I think i mis read some of the posts and was thinking: wax the pu to the body of the guitar...wtf? Glad I was misreading, scared me for a second