Question re: Budda Superdrive II 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by luv2playm, Feb 10, 2008.

1. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

A couple of questions for experienced SD II 18 users: For blues and rock, would it be best to get the head and a cab, or the combo? If the former, what cab/speaker(s) would you recommend? Thanks.

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have had both, and currently I am happy with the 1x12 combo. I think it sounds great with the stock speaker. I also have a Budda 1x12 extension cab that I use on occasion. I personally like the combo's size and weight. Either way I dont think you can go worng. BTW were you going to use the 2x12 Budda cab if you go with the head?

3. luv2playm

That's great to hear about the combo. Thank you. It'd be more convenient to transport, and it's the less expensive option.

I was concerned that the 1x12 configuration might be a tonal compromise, especially in bass/punch/fullness. If I were to go with the head and cab, I have no idea what cab and speakers would match up best with the amp. However, I'd go with a 2x12 or maybe a 2x10 format, for ease of transportation and space considerations.

4. luv2playm

I'd greatly appreciate opinions from other experienced users. Anyone?

5. jay66

jay66 Member

I have a S 18 combo with an Eminence Man O War that I really like. I also have a 210 cab with 2 ragin cajuns that sound pretty good also. I bought a SD head cabinet cheap off ebay that I use with the 210 cab. I just never bonded with the Budda Phat 12.

6. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I have a SDII 18 head and matching 2x12 cab. The head is very lightweight, the cab is not bad. Never played a combo but I have read that some people thought it lacked in the low end. The 2x12 closedback Budda cab does not lack at all.

I would say it's one of the most satisfying mid-higher gain amps I've played.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Ditto. Great amp.

A

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Do you have the closed back or open back extension cab ? I'm gonna be grabbing one soon, not sure which to go for.

Which ever one you use, could you give a description of how it changes the sound of the combo on it's own ??

I have the 1x12 18 watt SD by the way and love it. Best amp I've ever owned.

9. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

A portable setup would be a Mojave 2x12 cabinet with G12H30's or Greenbacks for lighter weight and slightly less volume. This is a great small size cab that sounds huge. I would pair this with the new Budda V-20 head which is coming out in 60 days. This would be a killer club package for blues and rock. You would like it.

10. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

What is this new Budda you speak of??

11. luv2playm

Check the recent thread on Budda Love. There's some information there about the new Buddas.

Thanks to all for the additional information. If others have advice, please chime in.

12. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Here is a pic of my setup with the combo on the cab. (also located in my sig)
    [​IMG]

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I like my SD18 as a combo...stock speaker...the amp is just great...want more bottom?? Put a boss EQ in the loop...I did that for a little more bottom end...also run a Boss RV-5 and DD-6 in the loop as well...sounds just great...Most of my other amps are heads, ie, Two-Rock, Aiken, Alessandro...but the Budda sounds great as a combo

14. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I love the SD 18 II 1x12 but I hate the Budda speaker. Everytime I compare it to the Hellatone 60 I have I always go with the Hellatone. It just seems to be better then the Budda speaker in everyway. It gave me a thicker, richer sound with more bottom but still a great sweetness to the tone.

I would love to try the SD18 with an Avatar 2x12 with a Hellatone 60 and 30 mixed. I bet that would be a killer combo.

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I have been really pleased with the way my SD18 and THD 212 cabinet sound together.

Terry