Question re: clipping out a resistor

335guy

I have a Crate Palomino V16. It is quite "trebly". So much so that I need to run the treble tone control on 1.

In a post from 2006 re: this amp, the designer, Obeid Khan, talked about "clipping out" C3 on the circuit board to reduce the amp's treble response. Here is what he said:

"It would also benefit some tube swaps, perhaps lower gain dual triodes like 12AT7, 12AY7, would help to control and "round" out the sound. Try them in the first 2 positions. That amp has a lot of gain, and you could toss some of it away. Then if it is still not "thick" enough, you could clip out C3. You may or may not need it depending on the type of pickup used, single or humbucker...."

I will try a pre amp tube swap. But my question is: when he talks about clipping out C3, what exactly does this entail? Is it merely removing that component but cutting the leads ? Do you have to do anything else, like jumper the the two terminals C3 was connected to? Any ideas ?

Tone Meister

C3 is a capacitor, not a resistor.

Those amps have hole thru circuit boards, so without having to lift the board, you take a hot soldering iron from the top and apply heat to one of the legs of that cap and lift one end. Taking C3 from that circuit will indeed take some of that raspy brightness away.

Do you have the Tone Tubby speaker? If not, a speaker swap will seal the deal once you take C3 from the circuit. WGS Green Beret, WGS Veteran 30, Eminence C-Rex

Last edited:

335guy

Thanks. I was told C3 was a resistor but glad to know what it exactly is, a capacitor. And yes, I do have a older Tone Tubby 40/40 ceramic magnet speaker. It's not original to the amp but I found a used 16 ohm version that I put in there. It helped the harsh treble a little but still, not enough.

Jeff Gehring

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like C3 is a "bright cap"; 470pF paralleling R4 (470k) which is in series with the gain pot. If you don't want to get too arty with it, you can probably just wiggle it back and forth and break it off. It looks to be right up next to the J1 socket on the board. All you need to do is remove it. It'll be small; the body of the cap will be less than 1/4" diameter.

Last edited:

J M Fahey

Care to post the schematic so we can see what is its function in the original circuit?
Thanks.

soulohio

we understand
i misidentified C3
I put an AT7 and a Celestion Blue and all is well
in V16 city

Tone Meister

Yeah, lose that C3 bright cap and with that hempcone speaker she should smooth right out. The TT 40/40 is one of my favorite all around speakers and perfect for that amp.

J M Fahey

I thank you for the schematic and let me add that wondering about the OP skill or experience (not here, but on any thread) is reasonable, to be able to adjust answer level to be useful.

That alone wouldn't a troll make.

Unfortunately we have a lot of examples of the real ones :(

Take care all of you :)

wyatt

Wow.

These are conversations, not FAQs or Reddit. Wherever the discussion may take us, we follow, often well beyond the OP or original intent. Just like real conversations. Since the OP's question had already been successfully answered, it is common for the conversation to turn to theory, spit-balling ideas, and suggesting things as building blocks for a deeper discussion. If it goes over someone's head, we are happy to re-explain.

(My Ignore list keeps getting longer)

335guy

In my defense, I originally discussed clipping out C3 in a PM with another TGP member. In my query, I stated that I thought C3 was, in fact, a capacitor. The person with whom I was discussing it with told me it was a resistor. Thinking that person was more knowledgeable than myself, I accepted his reply that C3 was a resistor ( although that didn't sound correct to me ).

Admittedly, I do not know much about electronics ( just enough to be dangerous ) and have a very limited and rudimentary ( basically none ) understanding of electronic circuits and terms.

I want to thank everyone for helping me understand what I need to do to remove C3.

wyatt

In my defense, I originally discussed clipping out C3 in a PM with another TGP member. In my query, I stated that I thought C3 was, in fact, a capacitor. The person with whom I was discussing it with told me it was a resistor. Thinking that person was more knowledgeable than myself, I accepted his reply that C3 was a resistor ( although that didn't sound correct to me ).
Just for future reference...it's actually pretty intuitive, it may have even clicked with you already when you were "re-corrected" about it being a cap...
C=cap ...C1, C2, C3, Cn...
R=resistor ...R1, R2, R3, Rn...
W=wire ...W1, W2, W3, Wn...
J=jack ...J1, J2, J3, Jn...

...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Kyle B

Supporting Member
Just for future reference...it's actually pretty intuitive...
C=cap ...C1, C2, C3, Cn...
R=resistor ...R1, R2, R3, Rn...
W=wire ...W1, W2, W3, Wn...
J=jack ...J1, J2, J3, Jn...

...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
U = integrated circuit (IC)
L = inductor
etc...

Not entirely intuitive ;)

Kyle B

Supporting Member
Wow. This kind of discord is usually reserved for "The Pub"... don't see it much here in the tech forum.

You two ought step back, and consider that what is happening is a case of misunderstanding, due to the internet being words only and no body language. In real life, you'd probably be happy to have a beer together.

Please take a deep breath and a step backwards. It's all good gents :)

Trending Topics