Question regarding 250k and 500k pots and rolling off volume

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TMKXL, May 26, 2015.

1. TMKXL

TMKXL Member

Hi there.

I'm currently building my own guitar and I will use TV Jones Classic pickups. TV Jones recommends 500k pots with these pickups. As i understand, 250k pots is generally better with single coils and 500k with humbuckers and 500k will let less treble bleed out.

My question is:
    Sometimes when i play another guitar (single coil or humbucker) i notice when rolling off the volume from 10 to 9/8 there is such a big drop in volume and treble which for me personally is super annoying.
    For example my telecaster with single coils and 250k pots doesn't have that initial dip but is more gradual and the sound stays more clear.
    Is the dip from 10 to 9/8 something that goes hand in hand with 500k pots? If not, how can i prevent that my guitar will not have this big dip?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. icr

icr Member

500K pots come in Linear and Audio taper. Seems like you would like Linear taper.

Audio taper pots are from the Auidophile arena. From zero to full there is non-linear progression, where it gets loud real fast near the end of the knob rotation. Ok for a HiFi, but guitars usually are played on 10 and rolled off. In that case Linear can give finer control of volume as you roll off, but harder to do volume swells with the pinky. There are fans of both, thus you can get pots either way.

3. TMKXL

TMKXL Member

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else who can chime in?

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Solder a resistor across lugs 1 and 2 of your Vol Pot. Generally its double the value of the Pot. Ex: 480k for 250k Pots. and 1 meg for 500k Pots. = Gives a nice smooth taper.

5. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

It seems pretty well established that 500k pots are brighter at first but do cause a more pronounced treble rolloff as you turn the volume down. The value should not affect the basic volume taper, however.

Sometimes I wonder if this part of why Gibson went to 330k pots for a while there. At max volume it's not as bright, but you adjust your amp to compensate. Then as you turn down you get less rolloff. So the net effect is actually a brighter sound.

6. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

50's wiring will help retain treble as you roll your Vol off.
    300K Pots on Humbuckers? = Do you ever wonder why Gibson went back to using 500k Pots?

7. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

Yeah, 300k pots, for the reason I mentioned.

Probably went back to 500k because it's traditional amd conventional, and because it's brighter sounding on 10 than 300k.

8. sliberty

sliberty Member

So, to summarize what was said above, you should be using 500K pots for both volume and tone, audio taper is traditional, but linear taper is another option that might please you more for the volume pots (use audio for tone). And the overall circuit should be wired up according to the "50's wiring" scheme, which you can easily find by Googling it. 50's wiring ad 500K pots will help with the treble, and trying both tapers will hopefully get you the "speed" of volume change that you want.

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I would start with 300k linear pots for volume, but that's just what I like.

10. TMKXL

TMKXL Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think i will try a 300k volume pot and a 500k tone pot with 50's wiring. I'll post an update once i have her wired and strung up!