question regarding historic lp special and lollar p90's. HELP PLEASE?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by laurencer83, Aug 18, 2005.

1. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

hi. i just recieved a newer historic les paul special single cut tv yellow model. it's the one with the nicer finish where you can see the wood grain.

i love the guitar so far but the pickups are very dark sounding to my ear. i've heard a lot about lollars but haven't had a chance to try them yet. but i would like the guitar to sound a little brighter and have a littler more clarity to it. do you think lollar p90's would get me to where i want to go?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yes, most definitely!

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

The Lollars, from experience, will give you exactly what you are looking for.

4. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

thanks guys! i emailed jason about ordering some p90's. hopefully he'll get back to me tomorrow.

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

You might want to check the pots in the control cavity too. Stock Gibson P90's are actually pretty decent pickups, and they shouldn't really sound too dark if it's wired up properly with suitable pots (500K all around is what most people prefer for P90's).

That being said, Lollars are great!

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Exactly!

Get and RS kit in that guitar before you go pup crazy.

FWIW I have Lollar P-90's and they are great, but you should most definitly replace the pots and caps first, especially based on your description.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=a349783867b1fa141f92c5c752c1dd73

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

thanks. that was another thing that bothered me about the guitar. the tone knobs don't have much of an effect. it's either on or off and no in between.

8. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

9. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I think you have already got your answer, but I'll jump in with a resounding YES! Jasons P-90's are sooo darn good. While I have not tried every P-90 out there, once I heard Jasons, I felt no need to look any further.

10. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i'd like to know a little about the RS kit. i've seen a lot of you guys talking about it but i've never known what it was.

and when i click on that link to the RS page, which kit applies to my les paul special(historic)?

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Just give them a call and talk to them. I put one in each of my LP's, in the 82 it was amazing. Gibson was using some real crap back then.

12. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i went ahead and ordered a stock pair of lollars p90's in black. i'm still going to look into the RS kit as well. thanks for your help guys.

have any of you installed an RS kit in a historic lp special?

13. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

when you guys refer to an "RS kit" are you talking about the "50's historic upgrade kit," the "Premium Historic Electronics Upgrade Kit" or the "Complete Premium Historic Electronics Upgrade Kit?"

i'm just looking to be able to upgrade the tone and volume pots.

also is there a noticeable difference between the lollar p90's and stock gibson p90's(in historics)?

14. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Your Historic did not come with the better pots and caps? I have an Historic Junior in the same finish and my Volume and Tone control are so incredibly useable. At gig volumes, I have the Volume at around 5 and the Tone at around 8. I ride the Volume on this guitar more than I ever have on any of my guitars. Even if I crank both knobs, the tone is so incredible. Not a hint of harshness or shrill. Just rich, sweet, spanky tone! It is really responsive to the touch. It is my no. 1 guitar now. Just one pickup, and I get so many tones. M.E.

[​IMG]

15. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

my volumes work fine but the tone knobs are hardly useable. from 10-2 there's no difference. the tone knob starts to work around 2.