Question regarding my guitar cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by boltrecords, Apr 28, 2016.

1. boltrecords

boltrecords Member

right now I have a 212 avatar with a g12h30 and a greenback. Both 16ohm running in 8ohm.
    My amp is a Cae pt100 100 watt head.

I am going to be switching to g12h75 creambacks soon. They are 75 watts.
    My question is, as of now I only have one creamback speaker and still need to get a second. Can I safely swap out the greenback for the creamback even though the g12h30 is 30 watts and the creamback is 75 watts? They are both 16 ohms. Any issues with running the speakers together for the time being even though the wattage is that different from each other?

2. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

if the G12H30 is in the cab and it's only 30 watts, your cab would be a 60 watt cab

*just double whatever the lower watt speaker is - and that's the cab's ability to handle wattage

I'm pretty sure your cab could handle a 100w head if you don't turn it up past 4 ...maybe halfway, idk?
    you are playing with fire!
    don't turn the volume up too much or get some higher rated speakers and you're good

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

..and stick with a 16ohm if the one you pull out is 16ohm

the speakers wattage rating being so far apart will not harm anything or sound funny
    it just makes the lower wattage speaker more susceptible to blow 45 watts sooner than the higher wattage speaker

4. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

As XmasTree says, you should have higher wattage speakers to begin with for a 100w amp. Wattage mismatch doesn't matter, but ohms mismatch will, and sensitivity rating mismatch will tell you if one speaker will overpower the other in volume. You should probably have 2x 75w or 100w speakers, not 30w speakers unless you don't turn your amp up very loud.

Rules of thumb - wattage of the cabinet should be about double that of the amp's wattage to be safe, ohms of the cabinet should match what the amp wants to see & stick with sensitivity rating mismatches of less that 3dbs.

5. boltrecords

boltrecords Member

So definitely getting that 25watt greenback out of there is a must. Lol. I always thought the cab sounded very grainy sounding when I mic'd it. I wonder if those speakers were getting pushed too hard. Maybe it will sound better with the higher wattage speaker with more headroom.

I chose the creambacks since that's what's in the matching suhr cab for the PT100 head.

6. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

That should work well. The Creambacks should be very similar to your Greenbacks (as they are both "H" magnets), but will handle the power of your amp much better & you won't have to worry about blowing them...