Question regarding pedal boards and power

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Suave Eddie, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

For many years, the only pedal I had was a Crybaby Wah. It is only recently that I have gotten into pedals at all.

I have a very minimalist pedal board -- only three pedals. I leave batteries in them all.

It is my understanding that with an AC adapter plugged in the batteries do not drain, even if there are cables connected to the inputs. My question is, for this to be the case, does the adapter actually need to be plugged into the wall or is just the physical connection into the AC jack sufficient to prevent the batteries from being engaged. I hope I am making myself clear.

As it is now, I use AC power during rehearsals even though I have batteries installed in the pedals, but I have been unplugging all my cables after practice so as not to drain the batteries. This is a hassle that I am sure many others deal with. So can I just merely leave the adapter plugged into the pedals without it being connected to current to prevent drainage of batteries, or does it actually have to be connected to the wall?

Thanks.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Many pedals have a jack that physically disconnects the battery snap when a plug is in the AC Jack. This is by no means universal, but common. Easy way to check is to install a battery, plug a cable into the input Jack and an adapter plug in the AC Jack, but don't plug in the power supply. The pedal will either power up or not.

Some players like to have batteries installed in the pedals even though they use an adapter. That is a backup strategy. It might not be the best choice if the battery might go unnoticed long enough to begin to leak.

3. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It is one BBE pedal and two Boss pedals.

Exactly -- I like to have the option to go AC or not. Usually if we have a gig, I just go on battery power and keep a few new backups. I like to have as few cords laying across the stage as possible, but at practice I generally plug into the AC to preserve the batteries.

4. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Well I did the experiment.

The two Boss Pedals behave that way. Unfortunately the BBE pedal does not.
    So I still have to remember to unplug the Green Screamer.